dead clutch, but friction plates don't seem 'that' bad

5 replies to this topic
  • ACM

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:37 AM

Questions:
Given that only one of the friction plates was below the wear limit, and the clutch failed completely, does that suggest there might be something else wrong as well?

Also will a 2009 yz450f clutch fit as 2008 wr450f as a temporary stand in while I order the parts - I have one lying around (in engine).

Background:
I've looked around and read a lot of threads on clutch's burning out, but can't seem to find an answer to the following.

Riding my 2008 WR450f in the desert this morning, lost all drive accompanied by smell of burnt garbage (oil stank of it). I was (ab)using the clutch a bit just before, had even noted to myself that it might not be such a good idea...

Got home, took clutch apart. All of the plates are between 2.80mm and 2.95mm, except one which is 2.75mm. Spec is 2.9-3.1, with wear limit at 2.8.

I will definitely replace the clutch as it's clearly worn below spec. However, given that only one of the plates was below the wear limit, and it seemed to fail completely with a lot of heat and smell, does that suggest there might be something else wrong as well?

- Or is that just how it works, as soon as one friction plate gets below 2.80mm it can't bind enough to drive, but has enough friction to heat up considerably.

Also will a 2009 YZ450f clutch fit as a temporary stand-in while I order the parts? - I have one lying around (in an engine), and it might take a while to get a new one.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Al

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:46 AM

You need to replace all steel and all frictions, and change your oil more frequently.

• ACM

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for your quick reply!

I will do all three! (although oil was changed maybe 5 or 6 hours ago, but still I could do better)

Can I take it from your reply that you doubt there is anything else wrong, just needs new plates? - I like the sound of that...:busted:

Any idea on using the the YZ450F clutch as a temporary replacement, - the local Yamaha isn't answering the phone (it's a kind of festive holiday season here right now, might be a few days, and even then they might not have stock).

Al

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for your quick reply!

I will do all three! (although oil was changed maybe 5 or 6 hours ago, but still I could do better)

Can I take it from your reply that you doubt there is anything else wrong, just needs new plates? - I like the sound of that...:busted:

Any idea on using the the YZ450F clutch as a temporary replacement, - the local Yamaha isn't answering the phone (it's a kind of festive holiday season here right now, might be a few days, and even then they might not have stock).

Al

I have never tried a YZ clutch pack in a WR. You could go online to bikebandit dot com and do a parts number check to see if any numbers cross over.

A mechanical clutch is pretty simple. Pull lever, push rod, plates, springs, bearings. I doubt there is any breakage.

• ACM

Posted November 08, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Krannie.

Much appreciated!

-I'd tried Boats.net, and bikebandit gives the same answer. - For the friction plates it's the same part number. However for the clutch plates:

on the YZ there are 7 x 1199567.

on the WR there are 3 x 1199567, and 4 x 1155598

but if someone has tried it and it works I'd be very interested to know.

STOP PRESS:
I've just measured them with vernier calipers (rather than just by a ruler as before!).
In fact three of them are 1.5mm and 4 are 2mm.
I assume that's the difference between the two part numbers.

As such I'll assume the clutch pack is not transferable, as it would give 2mm more gap, and mess it all up.

Apologies for not measuring them accurately enough before asking.

Short answer is I need to find a new WR clutch pack... hens teeth out here! Now I'm looking suspiciously at the wife's WR.... she's not back for 10 days... :busted:

Thanks!

Al

• ACM

Posted November 08, 2011 - 11:32 PM

Turns out I can get everything locally except the 4 WR specific clutch plates. These are the 2mm thick ones (YZ they are all 1.5mm). I will order new parts from the UK today, but will take 10 days minimum.

Questions:
Whats the chance the thicker 2mm ones I have will have survived in serviceable condition?

How do you guys measure them?
  • I know the manual says to put them on a flat plate and use a feeler, but I don't have a purpose built flat plate.
  • Has anyone done this successfully using a flat surface found around home / workshop.
  • What do people think about putting two plates together - then measure any gap between them?

Thanks!

Al

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.