2011 450 gas milage ?

4 replies to this topic
  • Stu2

Posted November 07, 2011 - 08:49 PM

I race my bike in cross country events and was wondering how far I could run one tank of gas?

Its 6.2l and being fuel injected it should be efficient, I was getting around 70km on my 250f with a 9l long range tank, I have heard some say the 450 will get around 100 to 110km per tank!

Also anyone know if running an FI bike dry is bad for the pump?

• tech24

Posted November 08, 2011 - 04:49 AM

probably about 45km. And yes if the fuel pump sucks air it can damage the pump, however some can take the abuse from running dry better than others.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:31 AM

The pump is damaged by running dry because of a lack of lubrication. It won't happen immediately, but the wear will accrue over time if the system is repeatedly run dry. Obviously, without fuel, the pump has a way of being turned off, so it won't run dry for very long.

Big picture, it should be avoided, but it's not something to worry about all the time, either.

• Stu2

Posted November 08, 2011 - 12:33 PM

probably about 45km. And yes if the fuel pump sucks air it can damage the pump, however some can take the abuse from running dry better than others.

I think I have done more than that on my tank

• tech24

Posted November 08, 2011 - 01:17 PM

its possible, all depends on terrain and how wrist action. The general consensus seems to be about 30mi so somewhere in that area.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.