What to check on a used 06 450f before I buy?

3 replies to this topic
  • Ridein

Posted November 07, 2011 - 08:45 PM

I found an 06 450 for 1,900. I keep telling my self its to good to be true. So I spoke with the Guy and he said the bike was mostly stock except for the back rim, he said that he cracked the hub so he's using a DNA rim. My question is what are common issues with this year? I bought an 03 a few years back and didn't really ride it very hard and the shifter folk for4th gear went out and Holly crap was it expensive to fix. The shop that fixed it said that it was common on 03s. Do I have to worry about the same kid of trans issues on the 06?.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:47 AM

I found an 06 450 for 1,900. I keep telling my self its to good to be true. So I spoke with the Guy and he said the bike was mostly stock except for the back rim, he said that he cracked the hub so he's using a DNA rim. My question is what are common issues with this year? I bought an 03 a few years back and didn't really ride it very hard and the shifter folk for4th gear went out and Holly crap was it expensive to fix. The shop that fixed it said that it was common on 03s. Do I have to worry about the same kid of trans issues on the 06?.

No you don't.
Look for signs of wear, how it idles, pitt marks on the forks and rims (lots of hours), smell the oil, view the air cleaner, etc etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockyMtnScotsman

Posted November 08, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Here's a good checklist when looking at any bike:

http://www.doctordan...Rstart_buy.html

But aside from abuse, neglect, maintenance, or other such items there's no big warts to look out for on the WR.

• tom00013

Posted November 10, 2011 - 05:48 PM

I have yet to buy a dirt bike from someone who maintained it properly. Most people tell me that "I've had it for a year and changed the oil regularly" That should tell you that none of the suspension, drive line(chain/sprockets), or cables have been maintained. I once bought a bike for $500 thinking it was a good deal and only needed a few things. When I was done, I spent $2300 on a bike that I could only sell for $1400. When you add up all the little things, ie. grips, levers, sprockets, chain, fork seals, shock bearing and linkage bearing, swingarm bearing, misc nuts and bolts, tires, spokes, etc. Things can add up quickly. Look at the bike, inspect it very carefully and make a list and check on what it would cost to replace the item, this will keep you from spending way more than you would have on a better condition bike. Most $500 bikes I have looked at would only be good for parting out and not making a trail worthy bike. Good luck and remember "buyer beware...do your homework and check the bike out completely.....the little things really add up quickly"
There are deals to be had though....I got a xr650r for a good deal because I pointed out all of the problem areas... the seller was asking $2300...I got it for $1300. Don't be afraid to point out the short comings and what it will cost to fix them. Don't be afraid to walk away... there is always another bike right around the corner.. you are in control because you have the cash... if it don't feel right...walk away!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.