dual sport

6 replies to this topic
  • BoZerk

Posted September 23, 2003 - 02:34 PM


I've read some of the posts concerning dual sporting a green sticker bike in california.

My question is what's the procedure?

Once I get my dual sport kit what do I do to get it registered?

Is it a pain to do?

I took my smog pump off, are they gonna look for that?

Do they inspect the bike?

Should I put my stock exhaust tip on if they do inspect it?

I read that starting next year they're not going to let you do it anymore so I thought I would do it now while I still can.

If any of you guys have gone through this before your help would be grealty appreciated.


  • smashinz2002

Posted September 23, 2003 - 08:14 PM


Sorry man, I'm in Texas here. No smog rules for bikes here.

  • Miker

Posted September 23, 2003 - 08:22 PM


You have to get it inspected after the kit is installed. Usually your dearler can do this for you. It is an inspection to see if the lights work properly. Depending on how friendly you are with them is how strict they can be. All lights have to work as well as the horn and the tail light needs to stay lit for 15 minutes without the bike running. Most do not check that. As far as the exhaust tip or the smog pump nobody gives a hoot. As long as you get that light inspection you are good to go. What is funny is that a forest ranger will give you a ticket for your bike being too loud with the hrc tip but the highway patrol won't look twice when a Harley passes you and is twice as loud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jont

Posted September 23, 2003 - 08:40 PM


I just sold my XR650R, I made it street legal. This is the only way to go. Get the Baja Designs kit and get it registered before December 31 2003. After that the law changes and NO alterations will be accepted for registration.

  • BoZerk

Posted September 24, 2003 - 07:36 AM


Yeah, I really don't get the logic behind not letting a green sticker bike be dual sported.

So I go to the dealer and say I got a bike I dual sported and I need it inspected. Then what? Do they give me a form to take to the DMV?

  • redrider650r

Posted September 24, 2003 - 08:44 AM


What is the DMV's scoop on getting green sticker bikes dual sported? I read something about a month ago on this topic and would like to read it again. Does anyone know where I can get this information? What I do remember is that I thought it said that if your bike is 2002 or older that you will still be eligible for setting up for dual sport. Can anyone confirm this?

  • BoZerk

Posted September 24, 2003 - 09:27 AM


I've heard that you have to get it done before january 2004.

That's why I'm gonna do it now before it's too late.

My brother is doing a Lancaster to Vegas dual sport ride over thanksgiving this year and it sounds pretty cool. That's another reason why I'm doing it. :)

Related Content


Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.