O-ring chain vs non o-ring

52 replies to this topic
  • Wowikawi12

Posted November 06, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Ive heard that o-ring chains rob "to the ground power" compared to a non o-ring chain. Has anyone else heard of this or know Of this being true?

• Zayne127

Posted November 06, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Ive heard it, don't know how it could be really. I use a Oring for off road, they last longer and don't stretch as much/none. I didn't notice any power loss in my 09 KX250F

• motojunkiedan

Posted November 06, 2011 - 03:46 PM

It is true however most of us will never feel the difference on large bore bikes though you might on a 125 or 85. I don't bother with O rings mainly because they cost more, rob power, and sprokets need replaceing with a new chain anyway. I buy a basic roller chian ( DID ) and a basic set of sprokets. For the rear sproket I buy a aluminum one from Rocky Mountain for $44.00 can't remember the brand.

• Home Skillet

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:26 PM

A frind of mine was talking to the DID chain engineer at the Indy motorcycle trade show, and he said once heated up, the o-ring chain has the same drag as a non o-ring chain.

• juliend

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:38 PM

A frind of mine was talking to the DID chain engineer at the Indy motorcycle trade show, and he said once heated up, the o-ring chain has the same drag as a non o-ring chain.

I don't buy it.

Put an o-ring chain bike beside a non-oring chain bike, both on stands. Put in neutral and spin the rear wheel. Huge difference.

• Wowikawi12

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:41 PM

So I'm guessing I shouldn't spend the extra money on an o-ring chain? I have a non o-ring chain on it now and it's still good considering I just bought the bike new a few weeks ago.

• Kev_XR

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Most regular chain users have small bore bikes or MX bikes. Go to a SX race, all the pros run regular chains. Next week all the bikes will have new chains. Go to a Hare Scrambles or Enduro, you'll see mostly o ring chains.

O-ring or X-ring chains should outlast regular chains, stretch less and require fewer adjustments. In the long run o-ring chains can be cheaper. Remember as a chain stretches, it wears out the sprockets faster.

Put both bikes on a stand and spin the back wheel after they have been run hard and heated the chains. The o-ring will probably have more resistance, but less than when bother are cold.

This reminds me that I need to swap out my lightly used regular chain for an o-ring chain I bought, before it eats up the sprockets. And I hate adjusting the chain all the time.

• juliend

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:55 PM

A good standard chain lasts longer than a cheap o-ring chain. Just like a good standard chain lasts longer than a cheap standard chain, and a good o or x-ring lasts longer than a cheap one.

Personally I have something against anything that's "permanently lubricated" from the factory. Just like these new sealed system front ends on cars. Worthless. I digress. A high quality and well maintained standard roller chain should last just as long as an o-ring chain, have less drag, and it's cheaper too.

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I always use o(or now X)-ring chains. The 1/10 of a HP extra they take to run is a non issue for me. The 3+ times longer lifespan is an issue. I don't want to have to stop in the middle of a 40 mile ride day to clean and lube my chain, which is what would be needed to get any where near the life out of a regular chain as compared to a good X-ring.
I also use steel sprockets for the same reason, lifespan.

• stlavsa

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I don't buy it.

Put an o-ring chain bike beside a non-oring chain bike, both on stands. Put in neutral and spin the rear wheel. Huge difference.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!! just hold an o-ring chain vs standard chain in your hands and you'll see.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chokey

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I always use o(or now X)-ring chains. The 1/10 of a HP extra they take to run is a non issue for me. The 3+ times longer lifespan is an issue. I don't want to have to stop in the middle of a 40 mile ride day to clean and lube my chain, which is what would be needed to get any where near the life out of a regular chain as compared to a good X-ring.
I also use steel sprockets for the same reason, lifespan.

Agreed. :busted:

• KJ790

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:31 PM

I don't buy it.

Google the dyno results, they are out there. I have yet to see a non o-ring chain produce any advantage over an o-ring chain on a dyno.

• Home Skillet

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:39 PM

HUGE DIFFERENCE!! just hold an o-ring chain vs standard chain in your hands and you'll see.

Do it with both chains warmed up. Take less than 1/2 mile to warm up.

I guess I should not ride in sand, as it saps power from my bike.:busted:

• Chokey

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:48 PM

I guess I should not ride in sand, as it saps power from my bike.:busted:

Yeah, and we probably should get rid of those pesky power-robbing air filters and mufflers too...:busted:

• Chuck.

Posted November 06, 2011 - 06:33 PM

O ring chains are old tech, maybe OK for high horsepower street bikes. The newer X or T ring chains have much less friction, closer to a non ring chain. After a ride with the bike on a stand I don't sense a difference in turning the rear wheel with a DID T ring chain compared to a non ring chain. And I really like the long life and reduced need for adjustment which means less chain stretch and less sprocket wear; for me a win win situation. For bikes not designed for the extra width of a ringed chain DID makes a narrow T ring chain (520VT2).

• rpt50

Posted November 07, 2011 - 03:03 AM

This thread has more mis-information on it than I've seen in a long time. I'll throw in a few observations of my own, having used both types:
1. I use "cheap" o ring (x or t rings, etc.), and they last WAY longer than top -of-the-line regular chains in offroad conditions.
2. I used to only use o ring chains on my big bikes, and my 125 always got a top-quality regular chain. I finally tried an o ring (a used old one) on the 125, and I could not tell the difference.
3. o ring chains have a lot of friction when cold, but within 2-3 minutes of riding, they spin pretty much like a regular chain.
4. o ring chains need essentially no maintenance after the initial adjustment, other than an occasional squirt of lube.
5. o ring chains and quality steel rear sprockets are worth the investment in my opinion, as they will probably last longer than you keep the bike. You only need to change the front sprocket now and then.
6. MXA has long recommended o ring chains for anyone who has to buy their own chain (i.e., non factory riders).
I'll never buy a regular 520 chain again. The advantages of the O ring are too great.

• juliend

Posted November 07, 2011 - 03:53 AM

Yeah, and we probably should get rid of those pesky power-robbing air filters and mufflers too...:busted:

Definitely! Might wanna just pull the airbox off and put some window screen over the carb.

• Chokey

Posted November 07, 2011 - 04:37 AM

Honestly, debates like this give me a good chuckle. "I won't use an o-ring chain because they rob power...". Seriously? There probably isn't a rider on this board that can even use the performance of a stock 125T to it's full potential, and yet some of you worry about a completely undetectable parasitic power loss....:busted:

• juliend

Posted November 07, 2011 - 05:27 AM

I did indeed seem to notice a difference on a kdx200 between o-ring and standard. And yeah, I think I use all the power that little engine has on a regular basis. Not saying I won't run one, but I tend to prefer a nice D.I.D. standard roller. I have yet to try an x-ring though, and planned on the primary drive x-ring as my next chain.

• Redlined

Posted November 07, 2011 - 08:06 AM

I did indeed seem to notice a difference on a kdx200 between o-ring and standard. And yeah, I think I use all the power that little engine has on a regular basis. Not saying I won't run one, but I tend to prefer a nice D.I.D. standard roller. I have yet to try an x-ring though, and planned on the primary drive x-ring as my next chain.

I put one of those on my GF's '94 KDX (with steel Primary sprockets), the quality seems very good to me.
At least here in the waterlogged NW, the difference in life between an o/x-ring and std chain is pretty dramatic (in my experience). And the o/x-ring requires no mainenance beyond cleaning and surface protection.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

15 crf450 vs 15 yz450 by Emkjr93

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

What Have You Done To Your KTM Today? by Rider 41

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   KTM 2-Stroke
  • Hot  3,591 replies
Forums
Photo

kx250f exhaust recommendations? by DeviousPete

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Kx 250f vs yz 250 vs yz125 by kxrider1001

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.