YZ400 shavings in oil filter

4 replies to this topic
  • RasmusDK

Posted November 06, 2011 - 10:28 AM

I change the oil on my bike today, and in the filter was a lot of metal shavings. Some of them was magnetic.. The bike starts and runs perfect, so my plan was to flush the engine with diesel or gas to get the rest of the shavings out, flush with cheap oil, and finish with a good oil. But where do they come from? Have anyone here seen/tried any like this?

The two things i can think of is, too cheap oil (the one i used last have the same approvals as the service manual says it should have), or the shavings come from the kickstarter gear. I remember I by accident, got the kickstarter down while the bike was running.

• CRF100biker

Posted November 06, 2011 - 03:21 PM

shavings are normal. every time i change my oil there are more and this has been going on for 13 years and my bike has never broke down or not started. unless if it's very large chunks and it completely covers the whole filter. by that point you'll have much larger issues though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RasmusDK

Posted November 08, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Roger that. Thank you! Well I flushed it anyway and did two oil changes, both times oil and filter looked the same (10min run only) and there were shavings/alloy flakes both times, guess its just how its gotta be...

• Hurricane

Posted November 09, 2011 - 11:31 AM

That means your filter is doing its job.

• RasmusDK

Posted November 09, 2011 - 11:38 AM

obviously yes =) :busted:

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.