KTM 520 vs 426 question

95 replies to this topic
  • randyWRF

Posted August 06, 2001 - 07:42 PM

Man oh man, you guys are killin' me!!! First off on this so-called "holeshot" issue, Has anyone actually watched ANY of those races that Dowdie holeshotted???? After the first lap he was old news! Has anyone seen Ferry blow by Dowd AND Hughes in the same lap?? Remember one verrry important thing...it's where you finish..NOT where you start. Second, IMO KTM builds works of art as far as materials, craftsmanship, etc. etc. but what happens to that work of art in a few months of riding? It looks just like all the rest! There is no reliability difference between the two but the problem arises when you replace big ticket items. It's no joke KTM is outta control with their prices and that's one of the places Yamaha kicks their butts! My obsevation?? If you wanna look fast Buy the KTM. If you wanna WIN buy the Yamaha! By the way....Shane who?? He's too busy lately making excuses to race! OK that's enough of my 2 cents. Fight nice girls!

• Chris_Slade

Posted August 07, 2001 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, Dowd. He's good and all, but he's not top notch right now. Yet even still, I've seen that orange fender poking around up there a many time.
I wonder what would happen if LaRocco, or Windham, or even Tortelli or Ferry got ahold of a KTM 520?? Not Charmichael...he could win on an XR80.....

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• Scott_F

Posted August 07, 2001 - 10:33 AM

More acrimonious acronyms:

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

YAMAHA = Kick Ten Minutes!!! :)

• Ga426owner

Posted August 07, 2001 - 11:31 AM

Scott F, KTM riders are the only riders that take ten minutes to start a YZF.

KTM = Kost too much
Go away & play with your buttons & oil filters & parts that cost too much, when they are available, & the mushy suspension .....I can keep going, but this post is boring now!
Just kidding: more bike variety = more fun on the tracks..where are the GAS GAS & TM's & VOR's & Huskys? Aren't they the superior/most costly machines out there?
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chris_Slade

Posted August 07, 2001 - 02:13 PM

Aww...I was hoping we could get this thing up to 100 posts!!
:)

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• holeshot

Posted August 07, 2001 - 08:26 PM

ScottF:

I hope you weren't referring to your 250F with Kick Ten Minutes thing. The last two times I was at Glen Helen, I was one in a long line of people trying to get someone else's 250F started. It took about 200-300 kicks and more than half an hour both times (two different bikes/owners).

I was thinking about a 2002 250F, hoping that they've improved starting.

KTM =
Kick 'Til Monday
Kraut Trail Machine

KTM riders:

If you've ever been to a four stroke national, you'd see that it's blue, with a few token orange and yellow bikes.

So put down the crack pipe and back slowly away from the computer......

------------------
Holeshot's Page

[This message has been edited by holeshot (edited 08-08-2001).]

• Odie

Posted August 08, 2001 - 04:29 AM

KTM or 426 - who gives a **** . They're both awesome. I have an 00'426 - my buddie picked up a 01'400sx. I say mine is the bomb, he says no, his is. I say my Jeep Grand Cherokee is bad ass, he says no, his Tahoe is. I say my R1 can spank his GSXR, he laughs. I like Coronas, he likes Coors - whatever. The only thing we agree on is the fact that my wife is smoking and his wife is a very nice girl (sorry Joe). :)
As far as those Huskies and VOR's - this dude (he wore IZODS to the track) rolled both out of his van 2 weeks ago at practice - they both sucked. The VOR broke after an hour and Husky just didn't impress. Great looking bikes though.

• Scott_F

Posted August 08, 2001 - 04:56 AM

Ga and holeshot, when my YZ250F was new, it took forever to fire up. After the first time it was no problem. Well, except for that time I fell over in a hairpin turn and flooded it. The carb may have gotten gas in an air passage...after 100 kicks I had to push it to the truck. I drained the bowl, and it fired right up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TBob

Posted September 25, 2001 - 12:28 PM

Originally posted by az426:
not to knock the bike but ktm's are just too expensive and wait till you see the price of a top end rebuild with that.i had an 96' 520
and was very dissapointing,that was a two stroker but it wouldnt hang with a 426 on its best day.bottom line...too expensive both the bike and the parts.

you had a 96 550 not a 520 and if you couldn't beat a 426 on that bike you must have been to fearful to open it up. I had a 96 550 and without a dought it would eat anything now or then - including my 520 that has no problem eating 426's

------------------
TBob
"01" KTM 520 EXC
Mesa, AZ

• john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted September 26, 2001 - 08:47 AM

Didn't KTM stop making the 550 in 95' ??

I'm sure that they went to a 360 in 96' when the bikes went orange..

I had a 94' 440 2-stroke that would kill my 426 in a straight line. In a straight line ONLY however.

John

[This message has been edited by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u (edited September 26, 2001).]

• TBob

Posted September 26, 2001 - 08:58 AM

Originally posted by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u:
Didn't KTM stop making the 550 in 95' ??

I'm sure that they went to a 360 in 96' when the bikes went orange..

John

Last year for the 550 was 96 - I'm sure because I owned one. I do believe your correct in the fact that it was the first year of the 360.

------------------
TBob
"01" KTM 520 EXC
Mesa, AZ

• Hick

Posted September 26, 2001 - 09:15 PM

I dunno, I rode a ’96 550 (it was orange) and I thought my KX500 was faster. Not by enough to claim the green model is definitely faster, just that mine was. The KTM probably needed some jetting attention and maybe new silencer packing.

We also drag raced and I smoked him, but that whole “rider vs. bike” thing definitely played a part there. It was easier to start than my KX though…

• TBob

Posted September 26, 2001 - 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
I dunno, I rode a ’96 550 (it was orange) and I thought my KX500 was faster. Not by enough to claim the green model is definitely faster, just that mine was. The KTM probably needed some jetting attention and maybe new silencer packing.

We also drag raced and I smoked him, but that whole “rider vs. bike” thing definitely played a part there. It was easier to start than my KX though…

Yep - ya had to jet them right but once they were jetted correctly a KX500 wouldn't hang. I rode Destry Abbotts 98 KX500 - you think that should run pretty good right? - My 550 was stronger. Riden several other KX and CR 500 - I owned a "00" CR5 - nothing compares to a good running 550. Not to mention gearing total sucks on a KX or a CR - they are definately MX bikes.

------------------
TBob
"01" KTM 520 EXC
Mesa, AZ

• DOC

Posted September 26, 2001 - 10:21 PM

From what im reading, the 520 is one fast machine. How do you think it would go against the new CRF450's?

• Hick

Posted September 27, 2001 - 06:44 AM

I dunno part deux:

If I was Honda my first priority would be to make the CRF lighter than a YZF, hopefully in the ballpark with a 400/520 SX. Much lower on the list would be making it faster, down below making it Honda-reliable and better handling. My engineers would be telling me, “we can make it as fast as Marketing dept. tells us, but that will hurt reliability.” Marketing would be telling me, “if our customers wanted power, we would sell more CR500s. Lets replace that brute with an easy to ride, yet plenty fast, CRF!”

It would surprise me if the CRF really makes significantly more HP than a YZF (mfg. claims notwithstanding, lets wait until a third party gets the thing on a dyno or at least on the track). We all saw Ferry blow by Hughes up Mt. St. Helen at the first natl. Of course, you can’t buy Ferry’s bike…

But apparently you can buy Dowd’s…

I know the CRF has lower compression than a YZ, it probably has less valve area (meaning less flow) so it probably won’t rev like the Yamaha. Probably, maybe, possibly etc.

In short I don’t think for a second a CRF will out-drag a 520.

• DOC

Posted September 28, 2001 - 12:19 AM

of course you don't...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.