KTM 520 vs 426 question

95 replies to this topic
  • WR_Jason

Posted July 18, 2001 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, and that Ornge color is UGLY!!!!! The blue and white,,,, so pretty,,, ahhhhh. :)

• Hick

Posted July 18, 2001 - 07:31 PM

Captain,

I could buy a Hebo for like $300, right?

Honestly, the YZ is race ready right out of the box, but the stock chain will only last one race, and the bars one crash, but I know I’m faster on the YZF, of course that is what I’m used to. I don’t think enough is said about how terrific the YZ suspension is right out of the box. It is so good that when I ride a KTM all I can think about is how much better the YZ suspenders are. That great motor and light feeling is lost on me, because I’m pining for my YZ forks.

I had a deposit on an ’01 520 MXC, as far as I could tell this bike was designed specifically for me. Once I rode my friends bike though I knew I would end up buying a $7,200 dollar dirt bike and immediately spending over a grand on suspension parts. Not a happy thought. Or I could buy another YZ, desert tank, bars chain etc. and fit it all on my credit card. That KTM would’ve required a personal visit to my banker.

I agree, the KTM is here to stay, but like many other promising newcomers, it took the YZF (and the ‘Berg) to wake them up to the possibilities.

The YZF is to dirt bikes what the Corvette was (and is) to sports cars. A bit cruder in many ways, but cheaper and still faster than stink. But sometimes I can’t start my YZF no matter what appendage(s) I use. A small quirk I can live with considering that other than that we are talking about the (most) perfect dirt bike.

BTW, thanks for being a good sport. I like arguing about dirt bikes. Actually, I enjoy arguing about most anything.

• captain_ktm

Posted July 19, 2001 - 06:16 AM

HICK you are a good man and I like you, you are definately one of the better yz owners.
I dont doubt that the ktm has soft suspension and I've thought about this post and what was said and will not argue about the ktm doing moto's. On the other hand I will state that the ktm is the ultimate woods bike and I dont care what anyone says.
there is alot to say about the ktm's suspension riding in the trees but not on the track.
last weekend the bike of choice at our last canadian harescramble was absolutely KTM!
I would bet that 3 out of 4 riders had one.
I will also agree the 520 sx suspension does need alot of work but there is something to be said about the power.
I too like to argue, thats the only way to spend my time trying to mend my crash wounds.
no acl left new one in 8-12 months.

• eBayThumper

Posted July 19, 2001 - 06:28 AM

Cap,

Maybe with a 'better' bike you wouldn't be crashing so much. :)

I thought the KTM was for yuppies who liked orange and had x-tra money to toss around...I've never seen one beat big blue...yes, rider is the key factor.

I've enjoyed this 'discussion' you guys kill me. Have fun with whatever you ride and try not to argue about what bike is better in the YZ forum...you migh get biased opinions!

Rip the knobbies clean off!

Later,
J

• captain_ktm

Posted July 19, 2001 - 08:36 AM

ever heard of sheane watts?
mike lafferty?
ya ya ya ya i know ty davis,randy hawkins,blah blah blah!

• Chris_Slade

Posted July 19, 2001 - 10:19 AM

Umm....how many 426's have taken a holeshot in the Pros? Thats what I though. :)
125? Grant Langston is the man...
250, the 520 has taken nearly every holeshot I have watched (I have NOT seen them all..) and yet....the 2 stroke beats all of them...hmm.
Should any of us be talking?? :D

'01 KTM 520SX

• SUnruh

Posted July 19, 2001 - 11:09 AM

both Tim Ferry (426) and Jeff Ward (250F) have wins this year in the MX series. how many of the ktm rfs bikes (4banger) have won?
in SX this last season, it was the 250F winning the west coast 125 series. so, if you wanna go spouting names and titles, just make sure you compare 4strokes of Blue to the 4strokes of the other colors. as of right now, i don't see ANY rider on orange that has won a title riding just a RFS from ktm in ANY series. oh, btw, Doug Henry HAD a title on his mantel before ktm had a rfs bike on the track.

p.s. if you go over to the 250F forum, you can see the video of my last race. that is my 250F kicking the crap out of a 520mxc on the start. with 270cc less too! so much for that motor being "all that"! :)

[This message has been edited by SUnruh (edited 07-19-2001).]

• captain_ktm

Posted July 19, 2001 - 11:29 AM

hey sunruh! let me inform you that last year sheane watts won 5 different nationals on five different ktm bikes!
and the way I see it, that video of your holeshot, looks likt to me the pilsbury doe boy was ridding that mxc. you look to be like some kind a spring chicken?
hehe
maybe a little sandbaggin goin on down there in texas.
next year we will probably see you on a exc 250f!
HAHA

• WR_Jason

Posted July 19, 2001 - 12:37 PM

Hmmm, seems to me that sheane Watts could win on a Wal Mart Jazzy shopping scooter if the battary last long enough.

• Max

Posted July 19, 2001 - 01:41 PM

What's with this Sheane Watts????? It's SHANE.
Don't tempt him on the wal-mart trolley, he's liable to give it a go!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StormTrooper

Posted July 19, 2001 - 01:55 PM

Holy Team Green SUnruh, Jeff Ward got out of his Indy Car to comeback and ride a YZF!?! If he came back, he'd definatley ride a KTM :) I have sat and watched all my buddies kick the dog snot out of their blue beasts, and once they fired, all I did was hit the "magic button"! Well worth the extra 1400 clams :D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 19, 2001 - 02:37 PM

It's LARRY not JEFF. :)

• Husker_Mike

Posted July 19, 2001 - 03:34 PM

Actually F-Pilot#5, it IS Jeff Ward who is the retired multi-time Supercross and motocross champion who now races Indy cars...

Anyway, it is nice that KTM builds motorcycles for those who are either too lazy or too stupid to be able to correctly kick-start a motorcycle.

• teamtoxic

Posted July 19, 2001 - 03:47 PM

<font color="navy">Sunruh, call me whatever you want, but that guy on the 520 MXC must have been a true slug. I'm a Yamaha Man myself, but those 520's will beat any 250F off the starting gate IF riders of equal experience/talent were riding each. The 520 is "ALL THAT" ; with the right rider aboard.

Not tryin to knock on the 250F, because they're awesome bikes, but there is no way that would happen under controlled conditions. It was just an experience with a slow rider.

Keep it Real

------------------
~YaMaHaYzFoUrTwOsIx~

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 19, 2001 - 04:29 PM

Originally posted by SUnruh:
both Tim Ferry (426) and Jeff Ward (250F) have wins this year in the MX series.

My post was in response to this one by SUnruh

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot#5 (edited 07-19-2001).]

• captain_ktm

Posted July 19, 2001 - 06:14 PM

NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A FORUM!!!!!!!!!
I'M LAUGHING SO HARD I'M FALLING OFF OF MY CHAIR!
THIS ONE SHOULD GO DOWN IN HISTORY FOR SURE!
OH YAH AND MY WIFE SAYS ANY OF YOU YZF BOYS COME UP TO CALGARY CANADA SHE SAID SHE WILL KICK A LITTLE BLUE BUTT!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAH (GOTTA GET THE FIRE BURNIN REAL GOOD)
SHE'S THE ONE THAT RIDES THE EXC 200!

2000 WESTERN NATIONAL HARE SCRAMBLE AND CROSS COUNTRY CHAMP(ADVANCED LADIES CLASS)
ALSO PROVINCIAL CHAMP.
I LIKE THIS STUFF, IT KEEPS THE BLOOD FLOWING!
WE ARE PLANNING A RIDE FOR 2002 UP HERE AND COULD USE A GOOD LAUGH!
YOU AMERICANS SHOULD JOIN US (YOUR DOLLAR IS LIKE 1.5 TIMES OURS!

• captain_ktm

Posted July 19, 2001 - 06:21 PM

all in good fun!!!!!

• YZ400Court

Posted July 19, 2001 - 06:32 PM

Originally posted by eBayThumper:

I thought the KTM was for yuppies who liked orange and had x-tra money to toss around...I've never seen one beat big blue...yes, rider is the key factor.

J

This whole time I thought I was a redneck, I guess the 520 in my garage proves that wrong :)

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Chris_Slade

Posted July 20, 2001 - 03:00 AM

This is too much fun I will agree. Yamaha's are great, KTM's are great, they are all great!

So you need a degree to figure out how to start the YZ?? What about the design flaw on the swingarm? (you know...the one that puts a WELDED BULGE right underneath the chain/swingarm guard that caused the chain to wear clean through? Cracked tanks? No KTM has had that widespread problem yet...(note the yet, none are exempt!)

Yeah, perhaps the 520 can't QUITE keep up with the 426 in the PROS, but how long has the 400/426 been out?! Give KTM just as long...we'll see. :)

I liked the YZ, but I want to support the european bikes...the Japanese need some fighting. They took out Maico, Bultaco, CZ, almost destroyed Penton/KTM and Husqvarna, and the rest of em, we can't let them keep it up. KTM and Husky are fighting back with a vengeance....and I for one am willing to support them. I didn't realize the 520SX only has 4000 in the country (US)! I feel special. My dealer said they only are permitted one per year. How many YZ's have a waiting list anymore? Everyone's got one (which can say something for it...but it's notanything special.) It's just "another YZF" whereas mine is a "wowser" bike! Right Captain?

'01 520SX

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited 07-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited September 25, 2001).]

• captain_ktm

Posted July 20, 2001 - 06:00 AM

You got that right!
I used to look at other bikes and say wow I want that one, now I look and say "oh thats a nice bike" because I got a bike I love.
as probably same goes for the yzf guys i,m happy they are happy on thier bikes.........but could they be happier?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.