Bash gaurd ?

21 replies to this topic
  • Yzf_Buz

Posted November 03, 2011 - 07:17 PM

I am looking at buying a bash gaurd for my 06 Yz 450, so who makes the one with the most protection ?

• RiderX

Posted November 03, 2011 - 07:32 PM

I've got one of the Richochet brand guards. It's reasonably priced and the protection is good. I was kind of surprised at how heavy it seemed though.

• atomic410

Posted November 04, 2011 - 06:05 AM

I have a devol one i'd sell

• Yzf_Buz

Posted November 04, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Someone told me to look into a Moose one, they were saying it provided the most protection to the side casing.....is this correct ?

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Devol makes one that's passable. It's what I use, but If I was to do it over, I'd go with the Scorpion Racing plate:

http://scorpionracin...d=131&Itemid=26

Click on the image for more photos.

• RiderX

Posted November 04, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Devol makes one that's passable. It's what I use, but If I was to do it over, I'd go with the Scorpion Racing plate:

Those cut outs for cooling are a great idea.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 05, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Thumpertalk makes a good one, for a good price. I have one for my '06, and like it.

Jimmie

Added in EDIT:

My TT skid plate came with a clamp & a size 40 torx screw for that clamp. My only real "snivel" about the plate was that I could never figure out where the clamp & screw are supposed to go. :busted: It mounts up great with the supplied screws at the stock glide plate locations, & the protection is really good, I feel.... :busted: Anyone know who makes these for TT?

Edited by Diesel Goober, November 05, 2011 - 09:26 AM.
forgot something...

• Yamiryder

Posted November 06, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Do you know of any retailer's that sell that skidplate?

• RiderX

Posted November 06, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thumpertalk makes a good one, for a good price. I have one for my '06, and like it.

Jimmie

Added in EDIT:

My TT skid plate came with a clamp & a size 40 torx screw for that clamp. My only real "snivel" about the plate was that I could never figure out where the clamp & screw are supposed to go. :busted: It mounts up great with the supplied screws at the stock glide plate locations, & the protection is really good, I feel.... :busted: Anyone know who makes these for TT?

My Ricochet was the same way, with no instructions. I ended up putting it where it could hook over the left lower frame rail. My guess is that it's mainly there to stop it from vibrating and making noise.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:25 PM

My Ricochet was the same way, with no instructions. I ended up putting it where it could hook over the left lower frame rail. My guess is that it's mainly there to stop it from vibrating and making noise.

Pretty much the same things here, RiderX. I did get a really small slip of paper with a few printed words, but no pictures, or mention of where the clamp went. :busted: Also, you made a really good point about the increased engine noise from these alum. skid plates. I'd read different threads about this noise, and still forgot to put some strips of rubber between the frame & guard..... :busted: (credit for that solution goes to Grayracer513, I think.....)

Jimmie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted November 06, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Pretty much the same things here, RiderX. I did get a really small slip of paper with a few printed words, but no pictures, or mention of where the clamp went. :busted: Also, you made a really good point about the increased engine noise from these alum. skid plates. I'd read different threads about this noise, and still forgot to put some strips of rubber between the frame & guard..... :busted: (credit for that solution goes to Grayracer513, I think.....)

Jimmie

I didn't put any weather stripping on mine either, but I might next time I have it off. Mine isn't all that noisy, except when rocks hit it....which makes a very loud clank sound.

• Hurricane

Posted November 07, 2011 - 11:29 AM

I got the Moose Eline carbon fiber plate for my 07, 06 will be the same. Great protection, easy install, light weight, and wraps around the engine for max protection.

• Wiz636

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:29 AM

Scorpion also makes some very nice radiator cages and guards.

• Hurricane

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:48 AM

I got the Moose Eline carbon fiber plate for my 07, 06 will be the same. Great protection, easy install, light weight, and wraps around the engine for max protection.

Here is the link to the carbon fiber guard, if you look around you can find it cheaper. These things are super tough, my friend has had the same CF guard on 4 different ktm 520/525's and we ride alot of rock. They take a beating.:busted:
http://www.rockymoun...rodFamilyId=927

• Yzf_Buz

Posted November 08, 2011 - 04:39 PM

What is it about this one that sways your judgement over other manufacturers models ?

Edited by Yzf_Buz, November 08, 2011 - 05:00 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2011 - 05:23 PM

What is it about this one that sways your judgement over other manufacturers models ?

With the Devol, it was price, quality, and fit.

With the Scorpion, it's the same thing, but with better coverage of the sides.

• Hurricane

Posted November 09, 2011 - 06:52 AM

With the Devol, it was price, quality, and fit.

My friend has a Devol on his 04 WR450 and that thing is very thin and bends up easy. Never heard of those Scorpions but they look decent.

• Yzf_Buz

Posted November 14, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Thanks Gray I just talked to Scorpion and ordered the HD bash guard, so I will see in a few days.....:busted:

• CodyWayne718

Posted November 14, 2011 - 10:59 PM

Whats everyones opinions on glide plates or the heavy duty plates with the fins? Are the fins jus in case you lay it down?

• Yzf_Buz

Posted November 15, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Scorpion also makes some very nice radiator cages and guards.

with the gytr cages I have I couldn't run their guards and the fella told me he isn't making their cages for an 06...:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.