Frame compatibility - will a newer main frame work with an '06 YZ450F?

8 replies to this topic
  • GHILL28

Posted November 03, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Looking to swap out the main frame on a 2006 YZ450F. What other years will fit? Any that offer improvements? I'm already thinking about grabbing an '09 450 swingarm for my YZ250 2T, so might just look for a 2009 450F roller to use the main frame from as well.

Thanks in advance!

• GHILL28

Posted November 09, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Anyone?

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2011 - 12:26 PM

The frames will interchange from '06-'09 without modification. The '09 had a different swing arm and so requires the use of the linkage from an '09 because of the relocation of the relay arm pivot. The '06 and '07 are essentially identical, but the '08 and '09 are said to handle better. No good explanation of that exists that I know of.

The steering head of the '08-'09 is 5mm shorter as well.

• Mid Life Crisis

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:54 PM

The '09 had a different swing arm and so requires the use of the linkage from an '09 because of the relocation of the relay arm pivot.

Hey Grey,

Do we just need the link arm or do we need the link and the shock pivot? I have a complete 08 bike, but I have an 09 frame and want to move everything over to the 09 frame for handling... Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Both the link and the relay arm are different parts.

• RiderX

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:00 AM

I believe you could achieve the same result by just swapping the swing arm and linkage from the 09 to your 08 without going through the trouble of swapping the frame.

• Mid Life Crisis

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Ok,

So I would need to purchase the link and relay arm as well. Will the link and relay arm work with my 08 swing arm? Or am I just throwing away $$ chasing this?

Thanks for all your help!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Will the link and relay arm work with my 08 swing arm?

No. The link may work (no idea of the results of that), but the relay arm is specific to the '09 swing arm, as the pivot was relocated.

I'm not certain that the revised shock linkage have such a significant effect on handling that you'd think it was worth it in the end. I'd rather rework your suspension as it is then spend money on something like that. Refinements of this sort are of value, of course, but they are a lot cheaper when bought as a part of the total package in the first place instead of adding them in piecemeal after the fact.

• Mid Life Crisis

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Ok,

So im going to have to dump another 250 into the project on a used swingarm, link and pivot. At this point I think im going to scrap the project... anyone need a 09 frame? lol

Thanks for all the information!!!!

- J

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.