which exhaust??

5 replies to this topic
  • tomtom1

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi all i'm new to this forum and new ish to off road bikes although i do have a couple of nice road bikes (eg nsr250, 06 zx10,z50r, and now a wr450)
so does anyone know what exhaust i can fit to my 03 wr450? it has standard exhaust front to back and weighs about 80% of the bikes weight,and im wanting to to fit something better looking and lighter, so what year do the exhaust change over, i asume 2001 to 2006 are the same exhaust as they have steel frame, would a 2007 exhaust fit? what about the yzf what year would fit? would a wr or yzf 250 fit?

a couple of appologies. 1st for my rubbish spelling, 2nd incase iv'e posted in the wrong area, 3rd for asking so muh on my first visit, any help would be great thanks in advance.

• 92db

Posted November 03, 2011 - 08:01 PM

check out exhaust manufacturer's websites for model compatibility.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2011 - 08:36 PM

A 2003 WR will take a a YZ pipe (and header) from any steel frame years (2005 and before).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikewrf18

Posted November 05, 2011 - 09:45 AM

A 2003 WR will take a a YZ pipe (and header) from any steel frame years (2005 and before).

If your on a budget, you can do what Krannie said and get a complete YZF exhaust off ebay for cheap. I paid $100 for a complete exhaust and PMB endcap/spark arrestor. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. Lot's of guys removing they're stock pipe for aftermarket. They're for sale all over CL and Ebay. I picked one up from a fellow TTer on here!

Posted Image

• tomtom1

Posted November 06, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply fellas, i havn't seen one on e-bay for ages been looking for about three week now, maybe daft question but what about wr/yzf 250 or is the bore different? if i cant find on i was given a akrpovic when i bought bike it is from a wr/yzf but doesnt quite fit its about 2" short of reaching the header but i'm sure a bit of jiggery pokery will sort the problem out

• mikewrf18

Posted November 06, 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the reply fellas, i havn't seen one on e-bay for ages been looking for about three week now, maybe daft question but what about wr/yzf 250 or is the bore different? if i cant find on i was given a akrpovic when i bought bike it is from a wr/yzf but doesnt quite fit its about 2" short of reaching the header but i'm sure a bit of jiggery pokery will sort the problem out

Go to the YZF forum, and chat it up with them. I'm sure somebody on TT has one lying around in they're garage and wouldn't mind parting with it.
An 07' pipe will not work on your 03', in response to your first post. Think steel frame to steel frame, and aluminum frame to aluminum frame. The wr header is a smaller diameter then the yzf, so look for a complete exhaust if you can find one. It sounds like the akrpovic won't work without some modding and probably not worth it. The exhaust mounts are different on the steel frame compared to the aluminum framed wr which is probably what's acounting to your improper fit of 2". As far as putting a 250f pipe on your 450f, I don't think it will fit, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, be sure to order both new gaskets, and make sure that you get the correct yzf mid pipe gasket if using a yzf exhaust, or you may end up with an exhaust leak. (Like I did the first time! :busted:)

Here's a good article on the YZF exhaust on the WR and some other exhaust mods
http://www.thumperfa...ree_exhaust.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.