weight savings on a YZ specced WR ?

1 reply to this topic
  • DMC707

Posted November 03, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Has anybody taken off all the off-road spec items from their WR and then re-weighed it?

I currently ride an '08 YZ450 , i have performed a couple of select mods and got the suspension re-valved and re-sprung to work very well for me --- in short , it is almost my dream bike - except -- no E-button. I am short and my springs are stiffer than an F250's -- kickstarting it is a bear without a milk crate. I have installed a Rekluse clutch and this usually keeps the bike running in the few times i have dropped it though

The pic of the soon to be released WR 450 has my heart aflutter because all descriptions say it has good suspension to work with -- plus EFI and E-start -- but all those changes and its still 5 lbs heavier :busted:

Since the Jap big 4 refuse to e start any of their porky 450's, and the KTM SX is still carbureated -- it got me wondering how big a difference there would be if the exhaust, lights, odo drive, 18" wheel/tire, battery (unless EFI needs it) and anything else were swapped out

I know this has been pondered by others before, but i have never seen any weight savings published --- in theory if you returned the bike to YZ spec, wouldnt it weigh close to a YZ plus the E start? Or are there other , hidden parts on a WR that are pretty heavy compared to its MX brother?

My suspension tuner can fix anything, and since i am heavier than average, it would have to be done regardless --- and i am not afraid of a cam swap if that would be needed to pump up the motor a bit

Or maybe i should not mess with it and wait for KTM to EFI their SX model , it would be cheaper in the long run -----problem is, i like Yamaha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted November 03, 2011 - 01:35 PM

I just did that. I somehow broke our scale when I rolled the bike on it. I took everything off except battery. Odo, kickstand, everything possible. YZF rear fender front plate. My guess was about 12-15lbs. However, after the initial noticing it being a little lighter, it still handled the same. I also missed the kickstand and the odo, put them back on. It was still a brute while racing but pretty awesome trail riding and doing some Dual Sport exploringI ended up just buying a YZ250 2 stroke and dedicating it for racing and using the WR for what I bought it for. That is a good Multi purpose trail bike that has a plate..

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.