Countershaft Sprocket Collar;O-ring 2006 YZ450FV

2 replies to this topic
  • broncomoto

Posted November 02, 2011 - 01:33 PM

I read several posts on this issue. I even found where Greyracer said if the collar is stubborn to grab it w/ pliers and spin the shaft. Mine is really on there! I was going to get medieval on it, but I thought I would ask for any alternatives. Also, there was thread regarding the o-ring. The parts diagrams show the o-ring behind the case. So it appears that you have the washer, sprocket, collar and seal that you can get to without splitting the cases. Since there was so much thread about the o-ring, I ordered it anyway. Assuming I get advice on getting the collar off, is there going to be an o-ring to replace? HELP! Bronco

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2011 - 02:09 PM

The parts illustration that shows the O-ring in question is this one:

http://oem.thumperta...ransmission.gif

The O-ring, item 30, PN 93210-22298-00, is indeed illustrated as being inboard of the bearing, but this is not the case in real life. Once you get the collar free, you will find that O-ring just outboard of the bearing in a groove in the shaft behind the splines. You may find that you need to pull the shaft toward you a little if it's been moved inward.

Two tips on removing the collar:

• If you get the seal out of the way, you can reach into the pocket with a small right angled pick ( a pair works better ), hook into a couple of the notches in the collar, and lever it out.
  • With the sprocket removed, tap the shaft sharply (but not heavily) inward. Doing this will slip the shaft inward in the bearing slightly, dislodging any adhesive bond the collar has formed with the O-ring.

• broncomoto

Posted November 05, 2011 - 09:19 AM

I'll get the seal out of the way and go after the collar as you suggested. I'm glad I ordered the o-ring! Thanks so much for your continued help! Bronco.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.