2010 Yzf450f Steering Stem Bearings

3 replies to this topic
  • throttle

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:07 AM

I just replaced my top and bottom steering stem bearings. I finished and I have a tiny gap from my frame to the bottom washer... In other words my washer below the upper triple clamp does not sit flat on the frame?? What did I do wrong? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Did you use OEM bearings? If so, you may have either failed to completely seat the outer race of the upper bearing. You may also have switched races from one to another.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • throttle

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:21 AM

Are the top and bottom races different? I used the Moose kit.. If I do have them switched around, will it hurt anything?

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:29 AM

The upper and lower bearings are different for certain, and the cups (outer races) should always be kept together with the bearings. In the OEM bearing set, the lower bearing has a seal built onto it. The upper has a seal built into the upper end of the bearing cone that seals directly to the outer race to augment the seal/dust ring that sits under it.

If you switched races and thereby caused a misfit, the lower bearing will sit too deep by the amount the upper is standing out, which may lead to the frame dragging the clamp, and may also cause the seal to fail. At the top, if the wrong race is used, the internal seal will not work as it should, and the outer seal that shows the gap obviously has no chance of working.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.