06 WR 450 - Yellow Plastic

14 replies to this topic
  • Bikeoholic

Posted November 01, 2011 - 02:44 PM

Hey gang, I'm the FNG around here.

I know this topic has been rehashed a billion times (since I found many similar posts on this forum as I've been trying to research it for a month or so), but I am hell-bent and determined to get yellow plastic for my '06 WR 450 and have had NO LUCK. I had my hopes up when I saw that UFO offered them on their website... but after I ordered them, they sent me an email telling me they were no longer available in yellow. I've checked Ebay, Acerbis, Cycra, and UFO. If anyone has any other ideas, I would welcome them.

If I can't find yellow plastic for my bike, then I'll order the yellow stuff from Yamaha for the '06 YZ and figure out a way to make the radiator shrouds and rear fender fit... but I would prefer purpose-built stuff for my WR.

Does anyone on this forum own a plastic injection molding company that wants to make me a set?? <kidding... sorta>

Thanks.

DP

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2011 - 05:23 PM

I think you have to go YZ plastics, which means IMS or YZ tank (for the shrouds).

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:37 AM

I think you have to go YZ plastics, which means IMS or YZ tank (for the shrouds).

In 05 & 06, the WR450 shared the same shrouds so like Kran said, the YZ plastic kits is your only option.

• gsa102

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:39 AM

The supply of aftermarket Yamaha yellow has dried up, and some of it wasn't quite the right yellow (Suzuki Yellow). The yellow YZF was a special edition, and the aftermarket probably didn't make a lot of pieces for it. You can order OEM Yellow from Yamaha, or get black or white and have custom yellow decals made. I may try the latter.

• Bikeoholic

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:04 AM

In 05 & 06, the WR450 shared the same shrouds so like Kran said, the YZ plastic kits is your only option.

The YZ shrouds are different than the WR. My WR has a steel frame, and the YZ of the same year has an aluminum frame. The mounting points are totally different.

• Bikeoholic

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:06 AM

The supply of aftermarket Yamaha yellow has dried up, and some of it wasn't quite the right yellow (Suzuki Yellow). The yellow YZF was a special edition, and the aftermarket probably didn't make a lot of pieces for it. You can order OEM Yellow from Yamaha, or get black or white and have custom yellow decals made. I may try the latter.

Yup... that's what I'm finding. It's a shame too, because I think the yellow bumblebee color scheme looks way better than the usual blue. Oh well. I have been forced to shift gears and make plans for something different, but the blue has got to go !!!

• Bikeoholic

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:10 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all the good advice. I appreciate your help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:28 AM

The YZ shrouds are different than the WR. My WR has a steel frame, and the YZ of the same year has an aluminum frame. The mounting points are totally different.

I was not specific enough in my last post

05/06 WR450 uses the same shroud as the last steel year steal framed yz450 (05)

• DMC707

Posted November 03, 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yup... that's what I'm finding. It's a shame too, because I think the yellow bumblebee color scheme looks way better than the usual blue. Oh well. I have been forced to shift gears and make plans for something different, but the blue has got to go !!!

You could go all white with a red seat like the old Euro spec YZ's or the 85-90 YZ's

You would probably have to have an upholstery shop fab up a custom red seat cover for you -- but it would look slick

• gsa102

Posted November 04, 2011 - 08:38 AM

I saw a YZ recently with the white plastic / yellow decal setup and it was pretty nice, too.

• Bikeoholic

Posted November 15, 2011 - 08:59 PM

You could go all white with a red seat like the old Euro spec YZ's or the 85-90 YZ's

You would probably have to have an upholstery shop fab up a custom red seat cover for you -- but it would look slick

As it turns out, that's more or less what I've decided to do... but I'm just going to have a black seat. I already put a Factory FX cover on the seat. It wil be all white plastic with custom red graphics. I have other plans too... but I'll save you all the boring details. I'll post pics when done. I'm hoping it looks as good when done as I picture it in my head.

DP

• n19dg2

Posted November 17, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hey gang, I'm the FNG around here.

I know this topic has been rehashed a billion times (since I found many similar posts on this forum as I've been trying to research it for a month or so), but I am hell-bent and determined to get yellow plastic for my '06 WR 450 and have had NO LUCK. I had my hopes up when I saw that UFO offered them on their website... but after I ordered them, they sent me an email telling me they were no longer available in yellow. I've checked Ebay, Acerbis, Cycra, and UFO. If anyone has any other ideas, I would welcome them.

If I can't find yellow plastic for my bike, then I'll order the yellow stuff from Yamaha for the '06 YZ and figure out a way to make the radiator shrouds and rear fender fit... but I would prefer purpose-built stuff for my WR.

Does anyone on this forum own a plastic injection molding company that wants to make me a set?? <kidding... sorta>

Thanks.

DP

I know this bike is not an 06 but it looks damn good in yellow!

http://www.thumperta...ghlight=wr pics

• Bikeoholic

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:43 AM

As it turns out, that's more or less what I've decided to do... but I'm just going to have a black seat. I already put a Factory FX cover on the seat. It wil be all white plastic with custom red graphics. I have other plans too... but I'll save you all the boring details. I'll post pics when done. I'm hoping it looks as good when done as I picture it in my head.

DP

Well, this is how it turned out. It would have been better if I would have splurged for graphics for the sides and fenders, but I basically ran out of money. Suspension all done by Enduro Engineering, new chain & sprokets, new tires, powder coated the frame and swingarm, new Excel rims, and all new plastic. I also had to get new riding gear to match... so I had to skimp on the graphics.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• gsa102

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:36 AM

Sweet! :bonk:

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.