2010 450 knock

6 replies to this topic
  • yz480doinwork

Posted November 01, 2011 - 02:32 PM

I was just leaving the truck when my 2010 yz450 started knocking. I shut the bike down and looked it over. Everything seemed fine, it had oil, compression and and tranny and clutch seemed to work fine. I started the bike and it still knocked but soon died and would not start again. I took the head and cylender off and inspected everything. The rod and main bearings were fine, as well as the valve trane. I replaced the piston and rings, set the valves and put the bike back together (hoping that the knock was detionation due to a tune i recently downloaded with my gytr power tuner. I downloaded the stock tune and the bike ran great for about two miles and then started knocking again. And again i killed it, started it once and it would not start again. Has anyone heard of this? Could it be the auto decompression sticking? Where should i start?

• yz480doinwork

Posted November 04, 2011 - 07:18 AM

No one has heard of any knocking problems huh? I'm also wondering if the ECU could be glitching, causing detonation at an idol?

• rdefonce

Posted November 04, 2011 - 08:50 AM

No one has heard of any knocking problems huh? I'm also wondering if the ECU could be glitching, causing detonation at an idol?

You didn't sneak a turbocharger on your 2010 model without telling anyone, did you?:busted:

Seriously though, I've never heard of that. you went to a lot of trouble replacing pistons, etc. Must have needed them anyway?

good idea going back to stock setting. ran good for 2 miles, strange.
a few things to try;
- fuel OK? try different fuel
- like you said, maybe it's the ECU . . trying another one would verify that (of course that's probably a non-returnable item though!)
- double-check that a cam is not 1 tooth off

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz480doinwork

Posted November 04, 2011 - 10:56 AM

You didn't sneak a turbocharger on your 2010 model without telling anyone, did you?:busted:

I'm leaving that up to someone else! I timed it correctly but ill make sure it didn't jump when I take it apart. If I have to I could probably find a buddy that would let me try a different computer.

• honda907

Posted November 04, 2011 - 12:26 PM

I was just leaving the truck when my 2010 yz450 started knocking. I shut the bike down and looked it over. Everything seemed fine, it had oil, compression and and tranny and clutch seemed to work fine. I started the bike and it still knocked but soon died and would not start again. I took the head and cylender off and inspected everything. The rod and main bearings were fine, as well as the valve trane. I replaced the piston and rings, set the valves and put the bike back together (hoping that the knock was detionation due to a tune i recently downloaded with my gytr power tuner. I downloaded the stock tune and the bike ran great for about two miles and then started knocking again. And again i killed it, started it once and it would not start again. Has anyone heard of this? Could it be the auto decompression sticking? Where should i start?

Just a shot. Maybe the oiul filter is clogged? If a new oil filter, did you put it in bakwards? Probably not, but just checking.

• yz480doinwork

Posted November 06, 2011 - 03:54 PM

Looks like the cams have jumped quite a few teeth, timing is way way off. That explains why it won’t start now but I’m still not sure about the knock. I’m pretty sure the valves weren’t hitting the piston. Could the chain have been clattering before it skipped?

• rdefonce

Posted November 07, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Looks like the cams have jumped quite a few teeth, timing is way way off. That explains why it won’t start now but I’m still not sure about the knock. I’m pretty sure the valves weren’t hitting the piston. Could the chain have been clattering before it skipped?

Yeah especially if it was stretched/worn.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.