Night riding WR450F and KLX450

12 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted October 31, 2011 - 01:18 AM

So I spent this past weekend with my daughter out at Ocotillo Wells riding with friends. My daughter wanted to go for a night ride. We have never done this because her bike has no light. Anyway, I borrowed my buddies KXL450 and let my daughter ride the WR.

In short, I can't believe Kawasaki can sell a bike like that. The headlight was HORRIBLE. There is no way the engineers and test riders took that bike out at night and said, "Oh yeah, this headlight works great. Our job here is finished. Now on to the kickstand." :busted::smirk: It just blows me away that there wasn't a single person there on the test ride with a tiny bit of clout and a tiny bit of courage to say, "Wait, this light sucks, we can do better on a $7000 brand leading off-road flag ship."

My daughter had to ride next to me so that we could both use the headlight on my WR. When she rode directly behind me, the light on my WR was so bright that it cast my shadow directly in front of me and I could not see. Yep, the KLX literally did not have enough light to illuminate it's own shadow. Also, the instrument cluster did not light up so if you needed it, you would have no idea how fast you were going or how far you had traveled or how long you had been gone.

I actually liked the other aspects of the KLX although this one was modified with a pipe, spot on jetting and suspension work.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:59 AM

I hate to say it but the WR stock headlight is far from 'good'...while it might get you home, it not good for anything over 25mph in my opinion.

• mikewrf18

Posted October 31, 2011 - 08:12 AM

One cheap accessory I use to aid in lighting is a hat light. It cost me about 10 bucks at lowes and I keep it in my truck or camelback. It clips perfectly to the visor of my helmet and lets me see where I'm looking instead of just where the front wheel is pointed on the cheap. Just for extra security I add a small piece of duct tape to make sure it stays in place. Nice extra lighting in case I get caught in the dark, and also makes night time trail repairs much easier!
Posted Image

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 31, 2011 - 09:24 AM

So I spent this past weekend with my daughter out at Ocotillo Wells riding with friends. My daughter wanted to go for a night ride. We have never done this because her bike has no light. Anyway, I borrowed my buddies KXL450 and let my daughter ride the WR.

In short, I can't believe Kawasaki can sell a bike like that. The headlight was HORRIBLE. There is no way the engineers and test riders took that bike out at night and said, "Oh yeah, this headlight works great. Our job here is finished. Now on to the kickstand." :busted::smirk: It just blows me away that there wasn't a single person there on the test ride with a tiny bit of clout and a tiny bit of courage to say, "Wait, this light sucks, we can do better on a $7000 brand leading off-road flag ship."

My daughter had to ride next to me so that we could both use the headlight on my WR. When she rode directly behind me, the light on my WR was so bright that it cast my shadow directly in front of me and I could not see. Yep, the KLX literally did not have enough light to illuminate it's own shadow. Also, the instrument cluster did not light up so if you needed it, you would have no idea how fast you were going or how far you had traveled or how long you had been gone.

I actually liked the other aspects of the KLX although this one was modified with a pipe, spot on jetting and suspension work.

You must have a modified headlight. Both the KLX and the WR have 35w bulbs in them....

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 31, 2011 - 03:45 PM

I hate to say it but the WR stock headlight is far from 'good'...while it might get you home, it not good for anything over 25mph in my opinion.

:busted: Well that is just fine for me because that is about how fast I ride. :busted:

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 31, 2011 - 03:46 PM

You must have a modified headlight. Both the KLX and the WR have 35w bulbs in them....

Nope, my headlight is stock and I am the original owner. I think it has to do with the reflector and the way the housing is designed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redhurricane

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:40 PM

Try the Ricky Stator high output stator and the HID kit. LOVE mine. Puts out enough light to make me ride way faster than I should in the dark.

• tornaido_3927

Posted November 01, 2011 - 12:02 AM

Not sure if the headlight is similar to the ones on the slightly older KLX250; I had an '07 and that thing was deadly at night. The high beam was pretty good but the low beam literally did nothing, the only time I felt safe was when riding through a lit up street.

Seemed bizarre to me, the KLX was 5 times the on-road bike my 05' WR is, but the light on the WR is FAR better.

• off_road_4_me

Posted November 01, 2011 - 09:56 AM

I believe the op has a pre 07 wr, which in that case has the ugly headlight, but it does work, its a 55w as stamped on the back of my lens. STOCK

• rkwfxd1

Posted November 01, 2011 - 03:11 PM

I believe the op has a pre 07 wr, which in that case has the ugly headlight, but it does work, its a 55w as stamped on the back of my lens. STOCK

No mine is an 09. I thought it was 55w also but have not looked.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:34 AM

No mine is an 09. I thought it was 55w also but have not looked.

Pre 07 = 55w

07-11 = 35w

12+ = ???

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:48 PM

.....which is why I have always said that WR's are way faster than KLXR's at night :busted:. I will say though, the KLX light looks bad ass compared to most others. If you really want to sample a bad light, go ride a KTM. They glow yellow they are so weak. And that's about a $9000+ bike.

Seriously, both Yamaha and Kawasaki have designed good looking lights, but they are not functional. I sold my stocker because they seem to always be in such high demand, and replaced it with a Baja Designs enduro light (converted to hid). Even with the standard halogen setup, it has far better optics than the stock WR light and can readily be modified to hid or just plug in bigger wattage bulbs (H4, lots of choices). Most people just don't like the look of the BD light as much.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:23 PM

I sold my stocker because they seem to always be in such high demand, and replaced it with a Baja Designs enduro light (converted to hid). Even with the standard halogen setup, it has far better optics than the stock WR light and can readily be modified to hid or just plug in bigger wattage bulbs (H4, lots of choices). Most people just don't like the look of the BD light as much.

+1 on some solid advice! :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.