2011 YZ450 bogs at high RPM's

10 replies to this topic
  • RacerDad

Posted October 30, 2011 - 01:39 PM

New crank & top end 3 weeks ago...ran great the next day at WORCS race & ran fine last weekend. Yesterday started bogging at high R's. Switch fuel pumps with a friend last night. Practice before race today...same problems.
Any ideas on what to check next??????

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2011 - 02:20 PM

If the symptoms are that it runs fine up to a certain engine speed and load level and then won't take anymore throttle, that would be a classic FI symptom for a clogged filter, but as there really isn't one apart from the pump screen, the next thing might be the injector. It shouldn't be too difficult to swap them.

But you should test the TPS with the GYT-R tuner or a VOM to see if it's OK, too.

• brentn

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:23 PM

the injector is easy to remove. pope the seat, lift the tank and remove the plastic plate above the cylinder head. Full access to the injector is available at this point

• tech24

Posted October 31, 2011 - 05:42 AM

if it ends up being the injector or you just want to try it, go to one of your local auto repair shops and buy a can of BG 44k. Add 1/3 can to full tank and run it hard. This would be a rather concentrated mix so try to run out a full tank. The stuff is magic!

• thumpinberry

Posted November 01, 2011 - 06:21 AM

my sons was doing that and would have a low speed bog,and was hard to start.took the fuel pump out and one of the wires were very loose.used pliers and crimped it together a little more and he rode it and said all bogs and hesitations are gone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RacerDad

Posted November 19, 2011 - 05:13 PM

Well it's not the fuel pump since we switched one from another bike.
Not the fuel injector. Put a new one in.
Not loose connections that I can find as we put in a whole new wiring harness.
Not a mapping issue that I can see as we put it back to stock.

Thinking valves/cams. He has Hotcams in there that may need to be put back to stock.

Edited by RacerDad, November 21, 2011 - 09:26 PM.

• RacerDad

Posted December 03, 2011 - 11:43 AM

It was the fuel pump :lol:

• tech24

Posted December 05, 2011 - 05:24 AM

It was the fuel pump :lol:

glad you fixed it, what led to finding the problem?

• jcm3

Posted December 05, 2011 - 10:59 AM

glad you fixed it, what led to finding the problem?

Good question.

I just checked the price of a fuel pump online - $239. Ouch. (probably why you were banging your head)

I have a feeling that we are going to see some growing pains related to the additional components needed for fuel injection. (just like we did when more cars started going to it) Overall though, I think it will help bring the sport to another level in regards to tuning capabilities and the ability for the bikes to adapt to different air density and elevation without the need for manual intervention.

I remember everyone hated it when the Mustangs went to FI in 1986, but within a few years, it was the $hit. I had a 500rwhp 92 Mustang that ran great, passed the California smog test, and ran mid-11's on sticky street tires. Lots of tuning possibilities.

• RacerDad

Posted December 09, 2011 - 10:30 PM

Well I'm banging my head cause It's my son's bike but he had tried to check this by borrowing a whole tank with fuel pump/filter from another bike. He said that wasn't it. Well then I bought the injector NOT IT, then I bought wiring harness looking for bad connection NOT IT. Changed the Hot Cams & mapping back to stock NOT IT. So I went back to fuel pump & that solved it.
So the $239 jcm3 mentioned was a drop in the bucket. We do get a very good racer discount but sh!t I spend too much.

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2011 - 10:47 PM

Well I'm banging my head cause It's my son's bike but he had tried to check this by borrowing a whole tank with fuel pump/filter from another bike. He said that wasn't it. Well then I bought the injector NOT IT, then I bought wiring harness looking for bad connection NOT IT. Changed the Hot Cams & mapping back to stock NOT IT. So I went back to fuel pump & that solved it.
So the $239 jcm3 mentioned was a drop in the bucket. We do get a very good racer discount but sh!t I spend too much.

Of course I'm stating something that you know for certain, but you can't generally return anything electrical or any used fuel system component.

Again, obvious, but keep the parts that didn't fix anything as spares.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.