YZ400 Street Legal Wiring

1 reply to this topic
  • scrappymcnugget

Posted October 28, 2011 - 09:31 AM

I picked up a YZ400 CA street legal bike. I rebuilt the top end and ran great on a dunes trip but... the electrical stuff is a mystery to me and I 'd like to get the lighting working properly/actually street legal for some dual sport rides.

My question is: Does anyone have a good schematic for a Street Legal YZ400? AND/OR: Does anyone in the Costa Mesa, CA area have a good understanding of the wiring and want to make a couple bucks helping me out?

Here's what I have: 1998 YZ400: Working LED brake light, DHH (Acerbis) headlight w/ Hi/Lo switch that pops bulbs when the rpms vary. I have a key switch wired and got the mini 12V battery from Baja Designs.. Installed the battery the way I thought it should be but popped a couple 5AMP fuses after starting.. Not sure which stator I have (YZ/WR).
I have some baja designs schematics I downloaded and some from the clymers manual but nothing covers the street legal stuff.
If I run a battery, do I still need the WR stator?
I just really don't know what I have going on electrically.

Apologies in advance... I'm only 2 stroke experienced.

Edited by scrappymcnugget, October 28, 2011 - 01:05 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RickyStator

Posted October 28, 2011 - 09:51 AM

We are in San Diego if you need someone to square away the wiring we can do it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.