'09 YZ450F-100 Hours-Time for Some Maintenance?

2 replies to this topic
  • sro2004

Posted October 28, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Got back into MX about 2 years ago after 20+ years off the dirt. Bought a new '09 YZ450F.

Just turned 100 hours. I've checked the valves twice and they've been fine. Bike still runs super strong, starts first kick. I'm old and slow (and 240lbs)...so I rarely see the rev-limiter. Oil + Filter has been changed every 3-5 hours, and I've never had any shaving on my magnetic drain plug. The bike has been a dream to own. Absolutely trouble free. I did buy some new clutch plates this week, so I am going to swap those out this weekend, even though the clutch isn't real bad.

So...should I just go ahead and do a top end, timing chain and ????

I want to keep this bike another 100 hours (since I have thousands invested in suspension/aftermarket goodies)...how do I get there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted October 28, 2011 - 08:26 AM

I'd do the top end & cam chain. I just did mine at 110 hours and had some ring float and was starting to wear through the nikasil. Although I race, ride MX only it sounds like I might be a little harder on my yz. I think 100 hours for a top end is a good rule of thumb, it's $140 well spent !!

I replace my cam chain every 50 hours or so, replaced the first one at 60 hours and I had 7 links that were binding. If you're already doing the top end, for another $20 you may as well put a new one in there.

Same deal over here, in 110 hours my valves haven't moved !!

:thumbsup:

• fishkiller

Posted October 31, 2011 - 06:31 AM

I did the top at 96 hours, call it 100 right! Did piston, rings, timing chain, valve springs and valve seals. Springs and seals are cheap. Still runs like new!!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.