YZ250 reeds

4 replies to this topic
  • raden

Posted October 28, 2011 - 03:18 AM

How much of a difference does a set v-force or boysen reeds, stock pipe vs with a aftermarket pipe. on a yz250.

• s14 2510s

Posted October 28, 2011 - 04:14 AM

I hate to say this but both have been covered many times in this section use the seach button. Theres a pipe shootout in the stickeys. Ive kinda always been a 2 stroke guy my whole life. Some are on the v-force bandwagen and some are on the boyesen Rad valve wagon. Ive tryed both and after trying both for years Id never get anything but the RAD valves. v-force have been known to fall apart and there not made moddel specific. The same reedblock as a yz250 fits a rm250. Boyesen is year an moddel specific. I ended up jetting way leaner once I install the rad valve in any bike. The performace is everywere top and bottom. With the radvalve there designed to be run with no spacer as the vforce requires you to keep the spacer.
Heres a rad valve for the newer 250's on sale. I just bought one for my spare 250 also. http://www.ebay.com/...=item564580d473

• mikeo33

Posted October 29, 2011 - 02:31 AM

how about just replacing the reeds with boyseen dual stage reeds instead of the whole block. U have to replace the reeds anyways before they get weak and break anyways. Anybody have any luck going this route

• harrperf

Posted October 29, 2011 - 06:07 AM

v-force have been known to fall apart and there not made moddel specific. The same reedblock as a yz250 fits a rm250. Boyesen is year an moddel specific.

The vforce fits multiple bikes because multiple manufacturers used the exact same stock reed set up.

The boyseen is model specific because of the intake connection boot it comes with - not because the actual reed block/reeds are tailored the that specific bike.

Most of the power difference between any reed block have more to do with case volume difference than anything else. I hated the boyseen on the yz250 personally - but the vforce didn't do a heck of a lot either. The stock reeds are pretty darn decent....

If you are looking to bolt on tons of hp - neither set up is going to do that...

And the stock carbon petals...are damn good.

• rdrata

Posted October 29, 2011 - 01:31 PM

The vforce fits multiple bikes because multiple manufacturers used the exact same stock reed set up.

The boyseen is model specific because of the intake connection boot it comes with - not because the actual reed block/reeds are tailored the that specific bike.

Most of the power difference between any reed block have more to do with case volume difference than anything else. I hated the boyseen on the yz250 personally - but the vforce didn't do a heck of a lot either. The stock reeds are pretty darn decent....

If you are looking to bolt on tons of hp - neither set up is going to do that...

And the stock carbon petals...are damn good.

I will second that; only to add that I do have V-Force 3 on my '03 YZ250 and they helped a bit by making the throttle snappier. Ultimately though is having fresh pedals. I recently put a new set in my VForce and what a difference it makes to have fresh pedals....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

• Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.