yz400 crank

5 replies to this topic
  • yzf

Posted July 12, 2001 - 03:57 PM

does anybody know the exact parts required to change my 400's rod over to the improved 426 rod and bearings ? i am due for a rebuild and i have a new 426 cyl but i want the lower end to go with it thanks

• YZ400Court

Posted July 12, 2001 - 04:30 PM

Try these guys. http://www.strokerspeed.com/index.cfm
They will know.

• Hick

Posted July 12, 2001 - 05:37 PM

I’ll tell you what I know, but it probably won’t help you.

It seems like you should be able to separate your ’99 crank and then press the two-six rod on there, but I’m not sure if you can...

...but I don’t know why not. I think the big end is the same, so you SHOULD be able to just buy the rod (PN Y5JG-11651-00-00, about fifty bucks) and then reassemble your crank with that on there. If that is the case you still need a press to reassemble the crank Don't ask me how to get it apart, I suppose by pressing the crank pin out of there...

Sorry for not helping at all.

To add to the confusion, I don’t think a two-six piston will fit on a four-hundred rod. I think the small end is bigger on the two-six.

Don’t worry, somebody will happen along sooner or later and clear this up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emcdan

Posted July 20, 2001 - 10:45 AM

careful fellows.. remember the clutch is smaller on the 400's. If the 26 increase even fits it's going to be tough on the the clutch basket...food for thought

• Hick

Posted July 20, 2001 - 12:32 PM

Originally posted by emcdan:
careful fellows.. remember the clutch is smaller on the 400's. If the 26 increase even fits it's going to be tough on the the clutch basket...food for thought

I’d rather have a ’99 clutch in my ’00 than the one it did come with. Sure, they made it bigger, but forgot to make sure it would fit. Mine did not.

IMO that is not an issue.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted July 23, 2001 - 04:08 AM

I have a 420 kit in my 400. No problems whatsoever.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.