valve shim fit problem

5 replies to this topic
  • wr450man

Posted October 25, 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hello,

I checked the clearances on my valves (2006 wr450f).

One intake needs adjusting.
I removed the shim and went to replace it with a shim from my hotcam kit. The shim does not fit... I measured the hotcam shim and it's exactly 9,5mm and the oem one is 9,4mm.

I'm not sure what to do. The hotcam shim just doesn't fit right with the slight difference.

Have you seen that before?

Thanks

• zlathim

Posted October 25, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Interesting because I have been thinking of getting this kit.

From the item description on the listing at motorcycle superstore:

9.48mm OD shims kit works in all the major Japanese brand 450cc four strokes with direct-acting cams
7.48mm OD shims kit works in all the major Japanese brand 250cc four strokes with direct-acting cams
8.90mm OD shims kit fits all KTM dual-cam machines

I am assumnig that you are saying that the hotcams shim outside diameter (OD) is too large to fit in the "bucket". Do any of the other thickness shims seem to fit? I am interested to see how this plays out. I don't want to buy a set if they don't work.

Edited by zlathim, October 26, 2011 - 06:38 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 26, 2011 - 04:20 AM

Can you find another one in the kit that does fit? Or are all of them to large in diameter? As a last ditch effort, you can reduce the thickness of the stocker by sanding it on a thick plate glass to achieve the valve clearance you need. If you do this, I would make sure the printed size on the shim is removed so as to keep from confusing you as to it's really thickness in the future. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450man

Posted October 26, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Can you find another one in the kit that does fit? Or are all of them to large in diameter? As a last ditch effort, you can reduce the thickness of the stocker by sanding it on a thick plate glass to achieve the valve clearance you need. If you do this, I would make sure the printed size on the shim is removed so as to keep from confusing you as to it's really thickness in the future. Maniac

Yes I tried several in both intakes, and only the originals fit

• zlathim

Posted October 27, 2011 - 07:19 AM

Figured anything out on this issue yet?

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hot Cams shims are not finished as well as OEM shims are, and sometimes the edges will have some unresolved burring from the grinding operation that cuts them to their labeled thickness. You can usually fix this by dressing the corners a bit with good hard 320 grit wet/dry paper.

This also brings up the point that you should double check the thickness, as every once in a while, you'll find one labeled wrong.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.