gas coming out of vent

5 replies to this topic
  • blakers213

Posted October 25, 2011 - 07:46 AM

FYI, I posted some time back about my gas cap vent hose on my 09450f leaking gas and oily substance on my front fender. After being concerned my steering bearings were where the oily substance was coming from I bought an aftermarket short stubby gas vent hose. Well then it was just spilling gas on my lap and gas tank. I ruled out defective one way vents by blowing and sucking on them, I could tell they both were working. So I thought the common denominator here is gas cap. I flipped gas cap over and there was 3 screws. I loosed them and it revealed a cup that the screws were on. The actual gas cap has a very small channel to let air under a gasket while the cup that had the screws on has a very small hole to allow air to enter gas tank. This channel and hole was lined up together. I rotated the cup around and screwed the cup back on with the small hole opposite from the small channel on the gas cap and no more leaking. I know this is hard to understand without seeing it but very simple if you take apart the gas cap. So hopefully this will help those whose having the same problem.

• tech24

Posted October 25, 2011 - 08:40 AM

does it still vent properly?

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2011 - 08:45 AM

Fuel running down the center of the stem cannot, under any circumstance, reach the steering bearings on the outside of the stem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blakers213

Posted October 25, 2011 - 12:20 PM

does it still vent properly?

Yes I was worried for a while but no problems.

• mikewrf18

Posted October 25, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Yes I was worried for a while but no problems.

Have you tried removing the gas cap after a good ride while the bike is still hot? No pressure releasing?

• blakers213

Posted October 25, 2011 - 02:29 PM

Have not tried that, But I did put in about 6 laps without engine dying.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.