Can anyone ID this piece?

10 replies to this topic
  • sean3239

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:07 PM

This was floating around the motor doing damage after finally lodging between the clutch basket and side case on a 2010 YZ450F with 72 hours on it. With both right side covers off, I don’t see anywhere it could have come from. I don’t have the whole thing apart but wanted to get an idea if anyone might know where this might have originated. I did take the left crankcase cover off and there is some scoring on the rotor where it looks like something was caught between rotor and stator but not sure what, this or something else..? There are two pics below. Thanks

Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:58 PM

It's tough with pictures like that, but the only thing it vaguely reminds me of is a piece of a locking lug off one of the trans gears.

• sean3239

Posted October 24, 2011 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, ok that makes sense. Up close it looks like it was once some kind of gear tooth or dog (from manual) but its been chewed up pretty bad. There is a tooth broke off one of the balance shaft gear but its not the right size and must be a result of this one floating around. I don't think I'm very hard on these transmissions but this would be the third time I've had some type of transmission failure on a YZ. :thumbsup:

Edited by sean3239, October 24, 2011 - 04:51 PM.
correct description of damage

• jratcliffe3

Posted October 25, 2011 - 03:32 AM

Looks about the right size to be the tab off the shift guide plate that bolts over the segment. Had this break on my 09.

May be a little too thick though.

• ellisde

Posted October 25, 2011 - 07:40 AM

first is it aluminum or iron ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sean3239

Posted October 25, 2011 - 01:03 PM

It's not aluminum

• ellisde

Posted October 26, 2011 - 08:58 AM

it is not from a gear tooth ,they are black and if, u would be able to shift anymore. look for my posts ,i hand a brocken gear on my yz 450 10 it was the 2end.

there is not many options if it is really iron !? is the engine opened or still in the bike?
make a lager pic of it

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2011 - 09:42 AM

A chip off of one edge of one lug out of the three or four on a gear would not prevent it from working in a near normal manner. It would, of course, eventually lead to a much earlier failure of that gear.

• sean3239

Posted November 16, 2011 - 11:34 AM

I didn't take it apart but the shop that did has said that fifth gear came apart and that resulted in a few other gears, 2nd and 3rd, that also came apart or damaged as well.

• bonehead7101

Posted November 16, 2011 - 11:46 AM

yah i was gonna say it looked like a engagement dog from a gear.same thing happened to my zx7, guy i got it from used to do wheelies from fist to second and tore up the dogs. so when I got the bike i was doin a stand up in 2nd and it popped out of gear, pulled it apart and found the 2nd gear cluster was hammered and one of the dogs was in the pan

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Exactly what I said in post #2.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.