08 WR450 Dumping Gas

5 replies to this topic
  • retroz

Posted October 24, 2011 - 11:39 AM

Just bought an 08 that has basically 40 miles on it since new. When you turn the gas out it just runs out of the carb. I took the carb a part and cleaned it and the bike started but it is still dumping gas. So I took it a part again to look it over. The float seems to be sitting level when the spring engages. The tip of the float jet seems fine. It is made out of rubber. There is not an o-ring that it seats in to. Should there be one? Will that whole assembly come out? Looking at a parts schematic you can't buy it seperate but it seems there is an o-ring? Reading on here it seems that older WRs had one? Still has stock jetting. I really don't want to keep taking the carb off. Thanks for the help.

• retroz

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:08 PM

Found this thread and it talks about the o-ring. I tested it by blowing in to the carb and it was tight w/ no air leakage w/ the needle in it. How do I set the float hight? Or are there any other suggestions to try?

http://www.thumperta...ghlight=leaking

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Just bought an 08 that has basically 40 miles on it since new. When you turn the gas out it just runs out of the carb. I took the carb a part and cleaned it and the bike started but it is still dumping gas. So I took it a part again to look it over. The float seems to be sitting level when the spring engages. The tip of the float jet seems fine. It is made out of rubber. There is not an o-ring that it seats in to. Should there be one? Will that whole assembly come out? Looking at a parts schematic you can't buy it seperate but it seems there is an o-ring? Reading on here it seems that older WRs had one? Still has stock jetting. I really don't want to keep taking the carb off. Thanks for the help.

All you have to do is remove the corrosion on the needle device and the brass pocket it slides into.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • retroz

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:24 PM

No corrosion on it. Actually the whole carb was really clean for sitting around so much.

• retroz

Posted October 24, 2011 - 02:00 PM

Got it figured out! It was the over flow screw loose. What a master mechanic! I'm guessing the previous owner thought it was an adjustment.

• Sknight

Posted October 24, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Hey if it means you got a deal on it then it sounds like a good thing!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.