Lapping titanium valves

2 replies to this topic
  • Rocker01

Posted October 23, 2011 - 05:25 PM

I know that people say that you're not supposed to lap titanium valves because the hard coating will wear off. I was thinking though, it will probably cost you $100+ to get the valves ground and a new valve isn't nearly as much. Has anyone tried just buying an extra valve and lapping all of the valve seats with that extra valve? Would that work? If so you could safe quite a few $ on a valve job. :thumbsup: I was just wondering if anyone else thought of or tried this? On a side note, I have heard of quit a few people that have not had their seats cut and they got just as many hours on the valves as they did from the first set. Sometimes I wonder if getting the seats cut is really necessary?

• KJ790

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:24 PM

You can do that if the valve seat is not too bad to begin with, this method is commonly called the "sacrificial valve" method. The problem is that you would have to buy an extra intake and exhaust valve because they are different sizes. By the time you buy 2 extra valves, you could have paid a shop to just cut the seats and then some.

If the seats are really worn then this method will not work all that great either. In the end it ends up being better (and cheaper) to just get the seats cut correctly.

• ITS CHOOKEN

Posted October 24, 2011 - 02:34 AM

+ 1 on the valve seat cutting

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Want to buy a 110 for my kid PLEASE HELP by fourtech

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Considering a 690 Enduro R by qbizzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   LC4 400/610/640/690/950/990
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 RMZ450 Burning Engine Oil by Connor Corrigan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   RM-Z 450
  • 12 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.