suspention, i need more

5 replies to this topic
  • JR650

Posted September 21, 2003 - 09:05 PM

well, jumping my tank on a tabletop i came up short and landed pretty damn hard from about 8 feet up, needless to say, it bottomed hard. My question is this,(i only know engines, suspention is not my forte) how do i go about stiffening my suspention? front especially, rear seems pretty good. I dont want to revalve yet, just stiffen up the compression. thanks in advance, JR

• irondude

Posted September 22, 2003 - 08:14 AM

Good place to start if you dont want to redo your forks just yet--get a pair of .045 (or .047 if you are a big boy) springs from Eibach or RaceTech.
Will run you $99 plus s/h.
But really if you are jumping a 300 lb bike maybe a re-vavle, shim stack and new rear spring would be in order.....

Plan on at least $500 for front and rear- it makes a HUGE difference. I got mine done at www.barnumspro.com and like it alot...

• JR650

Posted September 22, 2003 - 10:49 AM

being from canada, it costs me a $h!tload to ship to the US and back plus they are usually pricks about bringing stuff back. So i think i will have to find someone based here to do my suspention. rear springs im sure i could do, but i know nothing about the internals of forks. Anyone know anyone good in Canada for suspention work? thanks, JR.

BTW, im about 165LBS, until christmas :).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beerman

Posted September 22, 2003 - 12:42 PM

Check out this article
http://www.off-road....ech/2002spring/
Since you are pretty close to the weight the suspension was designed for (but doing something it was not designed for) you probably won't have to alter much. At the very least, get the crap Honda calls oil out of the forks and replace it with a good oil. Also, increasing the amount of oil in your forks will help resist bottoming.

• JR650

Posted September 23, 2003 - 09:20 AM

ya i got the old oil like substance out of there a while ago with my buddy's help, put 3w back in. would a thicker oil stiffen things up? Thanks for the info, JR

• Beerman

Posted September 23, 2003 - 11:02 AM

I'm not a suspension tuner, just a long time experimenter. According to Race Tech info, "Oil level can drastically alter bottoming resistance and only affects the last part of the travel. If you like the action but the forks bottom too easily, raise your oil level by 10mm". So, if you like the way the forks work, other than the bottoming, just add more oil. I like the way my bike feels with heavier (.49) springs and 3w oil, but I'm 280lbs with gear and never leave the ground (on purpose). If you've got more time than money, start with what's free (almost) and go from there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.