WR426?? Jumps??

9 replies to this topic
  • pl1985

Posted October 23, 2011 - 12:26 AM

I am new to riding and have just bought an 01 model WR426 and noticed after trying a few jumps its my favourite part of riding so far. I have noticed other riders are getting much more height and distance as well as landing smoother than i am. Is this bike Ok/Ideal for jumps (What are the pros/cons for jumping with this bike)???? Is there a limit on the lenght or height this bike can handle??

Edited by pl1985, October 23, 2011 - 01:33 AM.

• BoxcarWilly

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:35 AM

well for starters that bike is a tank, but it can be jumped just dont try to push its limits a 250 2t is the best jumping bike though. have fun and try not to die.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 23, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Since you have a WR, you have an offroad suspension, unless a previous owner has modified it. That means it is designed to soak up bumps and keep the tires planted on the ground when hauling on trails. What this equates to is a bike that is both mushy on compression and springy on rebound- so then when you go and land a jump the bike bottoms out and then pogos up. For track riding/ jumping, you want a stiffer suspension (stiffer compression, slower rebound) and can crank the clickers in A LOT from the recommended settings to help achieve this. Not knowing how recently the suspension has been serviced, it's hard to say how well it will work, but play with stiffer clicker settings and you'll probably find the bike will jump a lot better.

• GodHunter

Posted October 23, 2011 - 09:29 AM

well for starters that bike is a tank, but it can be jumped just dont try to push its limits [COLOR="Red"]a 250 2t is the best jumping bike though[/COLOR]. have fun and try not to die.

:thumbsup::lol: yeaaa uh ok... I get that two stokes don't have engine braking so they don't have the same tendency to dive in the air like a four stroke but a good rider can easily compensate with a little technique, your statement imo is bogus. To the OP you bike is a little on the heavy side but there's many a rider out there who can jump it as well as most anything else. You need seat time more than anything else. But don't just go blindly parading around the track, ask another rider to follow or watch you and see if they will give you some pointers. Also check out the technique forums here on TT. Lastly, once you improve your own skills a bit you should start tweaking your suspension for your weight/riding style. Start with basic minor adjustments and check out the suspension forum as well. You'll be clearing whatever you have the balls to attempt in no time.

Edit* forgot to mention the wr tranny and "woods suspension" ssanddemon covered it though.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 23, 2011 - 05:44 PM

The WR does not have 'woods suspension'. It has NO suspension. It's street soft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pl1985

Posted October 24, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for all the posts so I got a bit of new info from each one. This Saturday il try tightening the suspension, can't wait ; ):thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted October 25, 2011 - 06:28 AM

How much do you weigh?
Is the sag set properly and have you dialed in the compression and rebound?

Having said that, the WR is heavy and needs great jumping technique (landing on downside of jumps) to minimize the softness and weight.

• GCannon

Posted October 25, 2011 - 07:39 AM

well for starters that bike is a tank, but it can be jumped just dont try to push its limits a 250 2t is the best jumping bike though. have fun and try not to die.

"How Dare You!":bonk::thumbsup::bonk:

• MaxPower

Posted October 27, 2011 - 02:52 AM

:thumbsup::lol: yeaaa uh ok... I get that two stokes don't have engine braking so they don't have the same tendency to dive in the air like a four stroke but a good rider can easily compensate with a little technique, your statement imo is bogus. To the OP you bike is a little on the heavy side but there's many a rider out there who can jump it as well as most anything else. You need seat time more than anything else. But don't just go blindly parading around the track, ask another rider to follow or watch you and see if they will give you some pointers. Also check out the technique forums here on TT. Lastly, oncke you improve your own skills a bit you should start tweaking your suspension for your weight/riding style. Start with basic minor adjustments and check out the suspension forum as well. You'll be clearing whatever you have the balls to attempt in no time.

Edit* forgot to mention the wr tranny and "woods suspension" ssanddemon covered it though.

uuummmmm like if u watch krusty deemons or like the Mullisha u NEVER c Deegan or Faist huckin big gaps on a WR!! so u no more than Deegan ¿?!! yea rite!! How bout Travis or Nate Adams?? They all ride 2 strokes!!.So u shud say sorry cuz ur wrong ha ha. 2 strokes jump the best yo .4 a no it all U don't no.

• GodHunter

Posted October 27, 2011 - 05:28 AM

For an old guy you sure don't have much wisdom. I'm not hating on two strokes as it is currently what I ride, and I wasn't saying a wr is the ideal bike to go clearing 120ft gaps on in freestyle mx either. But I know of locals who can RUIN me and most other guys out on the track with their woods bikes with proper technique... Meaning the OP does not have to go buy a new bike to have fun on the track. And if a 250 2t was THE BEST for "jumping" then why would guys like Jeremy Stenberg who grew up riding two strokes make the switch? Because the four stoke was what was best for him. Best is a personal preference therefore to say a 250 2t is the best "jumping bike" is imo a bogus statement. Most freestyle riders prefer it, does that mean it's best? NO!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.