'83 XL600R Carb / Brake Rebuild Questions

5 replies to this topic
  • Mike90240

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hey Group! Just dusted off my 1983 XL600R, (orig Owner) Been garage stored since '97/8. The gas was drained from carbs & fuel turned off. After washing some dust off, Oil/Filter(s)/Plug change, the only repair done was to replace the fuel line from tank to carb. She fired up with new gas in the tank!! No smoking, only a small fuel leak, appears to be float bowl gaskets. Still needs front brake rebuild/replace of Master Cylinder & Caliper. M/C was dry, has compressed plunger, caliper is fairly tight on rotor (F wheel turns with effort).

Two questions:
1) Honda only sells a complete gasket & o-ring kit @ $31 per carb (2). Any cheaper alternative to only replace float bowl gaskets? Or will I need most of those o-rings also?

2) Since the master cylinder was dry, with powder inside, plunger is compressed, and stays there. Also Caliper is fairly tight on rotor, obviously at a minimum rebuild of both is needed. Was thinking about buying a used but working set from a later XR/XL, and wonder at caliper fitting problems (please list for me years of interchangability) A Honda Svc Manager says as long as bolt hole spacing is the same on caliper it is very workable, what do you think?

Note: She fired up without even being choked, and I did not even kick her enough to break a sweat! and idled by herself!

Thanks in advance for the advice. Mike B.

And a 3rd question, any advice on creating a spare SuperMoto front rim, any easy swaps with another models front wheel? Or should I buy another std front rim & re-lace?

• thumpharder

Posted October 22, 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hello and welcome to the flock. First I think any of the xl, xr calipers will fit (bolt spacing the same of course) but I think I would just get the one for it, some people complain about the brake being weak but we used to ride with drum front brakes so I say to them- put on your big boy pants and ride.
The carbs, yea I know kits only from honda, but you might try Keyster carburetor parts, have not looked but if anyone has the gaskets piece by piece, they are it.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:30 AM

I have always wondered if you could just get some thin gasket material and trace out the pattern and make a gasket yourself.

• zrxer

Posted October 23, 2011 - 12:29 PM

You sure the leak is from the float bowls?
I know on my own bike, when it sits for long periods of time with no gas in the carbs, the o-rings that seal the fuel crossover tube between the carbs will shrink up and leak for a day or two then they swell back up and stop leaking. This has happened several times.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 23, 2011 - 01:39 PM

:ride:

You sure the leak is from the float bowls?
I know on my own bike, when it sits for long periods of time with no gas in the carbs, the o-rings that seal the fuel crossover tube between the carbs will shrink up and leak for a day or two then they swell back up and stop leaking. This has happened several times.

:thumbsup: a most XLint suggestion!

• Mike90240

Posted October 23, 2011 - 05:38 PM

The crossover tubes are also suspect, although more likely the float gaskets, judging where the gas is leaking (observed) gonna change both areas.

Thanks, keep those suggestions comming, Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.