Electric Start: click, but not engaging

9 replies to this topic
  • ack1961

Posted October 22, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Loading up the trailer and ready to take the boy riding tomorrow, but I took the battery off the tender and went to crank it...after the 2nd attempt, it just stopped engaging the starter.

When I push the button, I can hear clicking under the seat (might be the relay), but nothing happening at the starter motor.

It's getting dark, and I'm scrambling through the repair manual, but I'm in a bind. Can anyone here narrow it down from that description.

I'm just coming off knee surgery, so I was hoping to use the e-start when I could. Oh well, this stuff happens.

Oh yeah: '03 WR450

Thanks,
Steve

• MANIAC998

Posted October 23, 2011 - 03:27 AM

Is it still the original battery? You might have some corrosion or a loose connection causing your problem, but I'm betting that your battery has finally gone kaput!!! Maniac

• ack1961

Posted October 23, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Is it still the original battery? You might have some corrosion or a loose connection causing your problem, but I'm betting that your battery has finally gone kaput!!! Maniac

It might be. I loaded and hauled this morning. E-start worked fine the first time. Was intermittent after that, so it prob is a bad connection or corrosion.

Thanks for the reply.

• mrWR450

Posted October 26, 2011 - 06:26 AM

Or the starter is bad! Mine was doing the same thing too.

• Hmcohen2632

Posted November 22, 2011 - 09:25 PM

Steve,

Did you ever figure out your problem. I went riding this weekend for my first trip of the year and the same thing happened to me. It ran fine all day day one and I used the starter a lot stopping at all the sites for the kids and such. But day two I stalled and went to restart and got noting but a click. I noticed I was in gear and put it in neutral and it started right up.

Later the day I went to start it and nothing but a click. It kicked right over and I went to camp and placed it on a jump start and still nothing but the click was louder and stronger.

I have a 2006 wr450 and bought a new battery last year. I put it on a trickle charger every few weeks during storage will all fluids removed.

Is this the starter (I hope not) they are so expensive or a battery or????

Anyone have any suggestions for me....

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ack1961

Posted November 23, 2011 - 05:51 AM

Steve,

Did you ever figure out your problem. I went riding this weekend for my first trip of the year and the same thing happened to me. It ran fine all day day one and I used the starter a lot stopping at all the sites for the kids and such. But day two I stalled and went to restart and got noting but a click. I noticed I was in gear and put it in neutral and it started right up.

Later the day I went to start it and nothing but a click. It kicked right over and I went to camp and placed it on a jump start and still nothing but the click was louder and stronger.

I have a 2006 wr450 and bought a new battery last year. I put it on a trickle charger every few weeks during storage will all fluids removed.

Is this the starter (I hope not) they are so expensive or a battery or????

Anyone have any suggestions for me....

Thanks

It's odd, but I never did figure out exactly what's wrong. It is an intermittent problem, but I actually think it's the switch itself. This is the oddest part: I can be having the issue, but if I lean the bike to the right of center, it tends to engage. There also "appears" to be a "good spot" on the starter button itself. I probably have one more ride (hopefully this Sunday) before I do a winter tear-down on it, so the starter button itself will have to get torn down and inspected. I will also check the neutral theory on mine, but I was having issues initially on the trailer (while it was in neutral).

Sorry to hear that you're having similar issues. Hopefully, it doesn't ruin a good day. Keep us all posted on your progress. Perhaps we can isolate the issue and help some other folks get to a quicker resolution when/if it happens to them.

All the best,
Steve

• face_plant

Posted December 02, 2011 - 07:17 AM

all 3 of mine did that....it either was the battery/ connection or it was the relay under the seat

• The Hopper Show

Posted December 02, 2011 - 05:38 PM

when mine does that i put it in gear, rock it a bit, hit the button, and off she goes.

• Hmcohen2632

Posted December 03, 2011 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to work on it this weekend. I've been too busy lately.

• Hmcohen2632

Posted December 14, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well figurered it out. #1 was the battery, #2 was a bad switch. Dont know if the switch caused the battery to go bad but very happy it wasnt the starter motor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.