Maintainance

4 replies to this topic
  • wrfjr rich

Posted October 22, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Ive recentley purcashed a 2007 Wr450 and have become worried about the engine blowing up and having a expensive rebuild it will only be used for light green lane work .How often should i change the oil and what is the best oil to use .What about valve clearences?Is there anything else i can do to prevent an engine rebuild

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:12 PM

Ive recentley purcashed a 2007 Wr450 and have become worried about the engine blowing up and having a expensive rebuild it will only be used for light green lane work .How often should i change the oil and what is the best oil to use .What about valve clearences?Is there anything else i can do to prevent an engine rebuild

If you get yourself a owners manual, or better yet a service manual, you can read up on all the recommended service intervals.

But basically, change your oil every 15 hours or so for dirt riding, and double to triple that for street riding. Clean your air cleaner and replace your oil filter at the same time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • djv5

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:54 PM

I put 10,000 miles on my 2003 WR450 and have over 10,000 miles on my current 2007 WR450. I ride dirt, street, dualsport, and supermoto.

My oil & filter changes were every 500 miles, and always keep a clean airfilter on the bike.

Only needed valve adjustments at about 5,000 miles. Had to replace 2nd/5th gear in my transmission at about 9,000 miles on my 2007 WR.

Nothing to worry about with these bikes, just ride and have fun.

• mikewrf18

Posted October 24, 2011 - 05:16 AM

Aside from broken parts of my own causing on the trail, I've never had a problem with my 07' Have a blast! Aside from what has already been mentioned I guess I could mention to keep your battery on a tender. When it's cold, sometimes it's better to start your bike with the kickstart. It will help save your battery. Check and grease your swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, and linkage bearings. They do need come lubed sufficiantly from the factory. Check that your bolts, and spokes are torqued properly. And make sure that your air filter cage was replaced. There is a small hole in it from the factory that would allow debris in your engine. There was a recall on the 07's. Make sure the PO had it taken care of.
May I ask what is "Light Green Lane Work?"

• - Jake -

Posted October 25, 2011 - 08:16 PM

May I ask what is "Light Green Lane Work?"

Green Lanes are "Unclassified County Roads" in the UK.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.