bleeding inner cartridge (what am I'm doing wrong)

4 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted October 22, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Bike: 2010 yz450f with stock suspension.

After bleeding damper rod and installing cartridge I compress completely to release any excess oil and after I do this the rod will not extend the last couple of inches. If I don't fully compress the rod it extends fully by itself.

What am I doing wrong? I assume, according to manual I am suppose to completely compress the rod to remove oil. Is this correct. I can't imagine there is anything wrong with these forks low hours with recreational riding.

Any ideas I'm feeling stupid here, thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2011 - 10:38 AM

If you pull it out to full extension, will it stay, or does it pull back in a bit.

It isn't unusual for the rod to fail to extend itself the last inch or so because the pressure on the oil from the ICS springs is not that great at full extension.

When you first fully compressed it after assembly, did it spit air and excess oil from the bleeds? If not, you didn't have it full enough.

Read the link below if you haven't already. I won't be able to follow up with you until tomorrow evening if you still have trouble. Off to the desert....

http://www.thumperta...814#post8762814

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted October 22, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Nope it stays extended and it does spit air and oil out so it sounds like everything is fine and I have wasted a lot of time and oil trying to get it "perfect"

Thanks for the link been searching forever trying to find something today do that helped a ton.

• tech24

Posted October 22, 2011 - 04:07 PM

well everythings done and good to go. Just wanted to say I used that bleed method and could actually see a difference in the amount of air that came out on final bleeding....I got mostly oil and only took 1 stroke

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Most of the credit for that method goes to Dave Johnson at SMART Performance, although I did refine it about 10%.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.