crf 450 carb tuning 2003

7 replies to this topic
  • ollacolla13

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

having problem tuning my carb... yes i have read the manual.. the jets are right, valves are good.. still having trouble starting... needl is third from the bottom and pilot air screw is 1 3/4 turns out... and don't know about the air screw but it was turned way out... thats how i tuned it to low down the idle when i got it started... will start fine when its hot... in the manual it says 5th position for the needle and idk if its from the top or bottom... please help a little thanks

• fxrs

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

are you using full choke and 3 twist of throttle

• tjg53

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Your poilt jet mite be getting clogged. Try a new one , and see how it acts. Over time they do get clogged with varnish.

• 450XJimDirt

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

I am gonna agree with tjg53 , your pilot jet is clogged , thank the Ethanol for that

If you have the proper jets for your altitude , and you read the manual and set everything to the recommended settings , then its either old/bad gas , or your pilot jet is clogged

• ollacolla13

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

in the manual it says for the needle position to be on the 5th spot... does it meet the 5th position from the bottom or top?

• fxrs

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

i would say from the top because it richens fuel you move the clip down

• skthom2320

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Needle clip position is counted top down. +1 on the recommendation to just switch out the pilot. That is a classic symptom for a clogged pilot (or fuel screw too far in).

BTW - there is no air screw. The fuel screw on a FCR carb is letting in more or less fuel in the pilot circuit , not air.

• ollacolla13

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

my bad i meant fuel screw... i'll try a new pilot and see whats going on with that...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

TRAIL READY 13 CRF 450R? by ShazzaM

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Best clutch for my needs by x2fanatic

• Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

05'crf450r by tklatti

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 Rebuild Cost by tw191

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

02 CRF450R Stall issue/before and after pics by T. Bruce (TB4 Motorsports)

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.