Introduction

15 replies to this topic
  • Stu2

Posted October 20, 2011 - 03:53 AM

Hi all,

I have just bought a new 2011 which I will be using to race in Cross Country and GNCC type racing, I have the first ride saturday, cant wait!!

So I will be fitting a Wr gearbox, Fww on monday, and a rekluse core exp in a month or two,

I am also going to change out the bars for something with a higher ans straighter bend

I also want to change the map which I think will better suit off road,

Has anyone used the Yoshi pipe ?

Posted Image

• Schpenxel

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Nice looking bike!

• geshields

Posted October 20, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Don't have the Yoshi pipe but the FMF Factory 4.1 with Megabomb header. My bike is very close to what you will have. I have the heavier FWW and the Core EXP. I am running the GYTR head with VP U4.4 and the proper tuning setting for it.

I love my bike on the track. Until this past weekend I thought I would hate the power in the woods. I was wrong. The bike was very wild mannered and easy to control. The Rekluse made the difference. I have a feeling I would have stalled a lot without it. The power was there when I wanted it and not jerky at all.

You'll love the bike!!!

• eazrider

Posted October 20, 2011 - 08:14 AM

geshields,
How did you like the FWW? How heavy is it, what brand did you use, and what did you notice most when you first tried the FWW..?

• geshields

Posted October 20, 2011 - 08:35 AM

I have the GYTR offroad flywheel. I like the heavier flywheels because they take some of the punch out of the 450's. To me, they have no negative effect. It keeps the power to the ground.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2011 - 11:39 AM

The extra weight also makes the engine run more smoothly at slower speeds, which translates into less stalling, and a small but real gain in low RPM power.

• Stu2

Posted October 20, 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks schpenxel,

First ride yesterday, great bike !! I assume the maping i standard, but it still rips compared to my 250f

Gearbox feels tight and nochy but its still new so it should ease up, I have read on here that some gearbox's have given trouble, is it commn ? Or should i not worry about it?

I can see I will be needing to stock up on rear tires !!

• Stu2

Posted October 21, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Does anyone know if my front rim from my 07 Yz 250f is compatible with the 11' 450 ?

I have put it on but when I spin the rim it seems the disc is catching/rubbing on the caliper somewhere ?

Also, I have an 18" rim from my 250f, I know the axle size is different, so if I change the bearings on the 18" rim would it work ?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2011 - 10:21 AM

The front should work if you use the spacers from the '11.

No one has found a set of bearings that will convert the '98-'08 rear hub to a 25mm axle that I know of, so at this point, the rear won't work.

• Stu2

Posted October 21, 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Grayracer,

I guess I will sell the old 18" and buy a new one, with racing and practise its easy having a practise rim (19") to use old tires for practise and use the 18' for races

Otherwise it becomes a little expensive...

• geoffro

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hi Stu2. just as a matter of interest what made you go yz route and not wr? I take it the weight factor? I ride 50/50 mx/offroad and would like a "KTM XC" in YAMAHA form that is! I am torn between modding the YZ or WR to the "in between" bike I am looking for.Any opinions and thoughts would be great to help with my decision.

• RiderX

Posted November 20, 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi Stu2. just as a matter of interest what made you go yz route and not wr? I take it the weight factor? I ride 50/50 mx/offroad and would like a "KTM XC" in YAMAHA form that is! I am torn between modding the YZ or WR to the "in between" bike I am looking for.Any opinions and thoughts would be great to help with my decision.

Here are a few of my thoughts on that subject:

With a few mods and tweaks the YZ can be made into a race level offroad bike, or even a tame woods cruiser, but the WR cannot be easily made into a MX bike. The WR is heavy, the suspension is not up to the task of serious offroad riding, and would probably get you seriously hurt on a MX track. The gearing on the WR is not ideal for MX riding but I feel that the YZ gearing is good in the tight woods, and with a smaller rear sprocket can get you the top speed needed for more open terrain. The 2011 WR is also not fuel injected (I consider this a deciding factor, some may not). I would love to see an E-start option on the YZ, but that will likely never happen.

My next bike purchase will probably be a toss up between a newer YZ450F, KTM 350 or 450 XC (when they go fuel injected).

• Stu2

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:16 AM

As RiderX said,

I raced a Wr 250f for a season and had to do a lot of work to itto get it to where I wanted it, things like Yz forks (sss), lots of shock work, trying to shed weight, trying to get the engine to yz spec's etc.

If you really need the E start of the Wr then the Wr is probably right for you, if you find you dont stall much and can get it going pretty easy when you do, then the yz is probably for you,

They are both great bikes, the Yz is a race bike and with a few mods here and there can be awsome for off road applications, the wr is not a race bike but can be converted albeit with a lot more work

• rdefonce

Posted November 22, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I have the GYTR offroad flywheel. I like the heavier flywheels because they take some of the punch out of the 450's. To me, they have no negative effect. It keeps the power to the ground.

I also have that FW on my '10. It helped get the power to the ground even better than stock (which is good already), less stalling, and eliminated engine braking effect a tiny bit. I'm happy I sprung for it!

Stu2 - my gearbox didn't feel notchy but it's definitely tight, no slop between them gears! No problems at all yet, with ~ 40 hours on it.

• atomic410

Posted November 22, 2011 - 11:45 AM

i might want that 18 rear for my 07 yz250f for the right price

• atomic410

Posted November 22, 2011 - 11:46 AM

never mind didn't see you are in south africa

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.