I think I wasted my 2010 yz450f...oil plug fell out

3 replies to this topic
  • wideopenwatts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 06:56 PM

I think I wasted my bike, while riding my bike started running very loud. Stopped the engine and oil was pouring out of the drain plug hole. Abviously didnt tighten enough and it fell out.. just dropped it off at the shop and very worried how much this is going to cost me : ( Sounded like the piston was slapping something. Anybody wanna guess what kind of damage I have done?

• Wiz636

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:10 PM

I would say that if you still had oil coming out then you should be okay.

Had the same thing happen to me...bike started making a racket, looked down to see oil all over my boot and a missing drain plug. Shut it down, refilled it with oil and never looked back...that was in 2009.

A friend of mine cracked the case on his YZ450 way back in the mountains and lost all his oil. He rode it up every hill on the way back to the truck, pushed the rest of the time. When he tore it down to replace the broken case he had no oil-related damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wideopenwatts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thx wiz . I tried putting more oil in it and still made that horrible slapping noise.

• pscook

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:37 PM

At best it's probably just the piston. At worst it's the valve train, crank, and piston. Cases are still good, transmission probably pulled through okay, but the high load parts probably took a beating.

Good luck.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.