Suspension Q's for 00426

1 reply to this topic
  • batwing

Posted July 09, 2001 - 05:10 PM

Please Help!! I am trying to become self sufficient in my bike setup, but I am confused.
1. Front forks: Is the compression adjustment at the top of the forks or on the bottom? The manual refers to compression at the bottom and rebound at the top.
2. I ride alot of motocross tracks and I'm beginning to jump further and ride faster. Someone told me I should stiffen compression and set rebound about midway. Does this sound acurate and if so question #1 will help me figure this out?
3. The book says to turn clicks to max setting(all the way in or to "H")and then turn clicks out(to "S")to adjust. Is this acurate?

I am 6'2 and weigh 215lbs. and my suspension usally feels pretty good when I'm riding a track that has alot of heavy loose soil with some soft berms and big tabletops that have gradual faces and landing areas. The trouble starts when I go to another track that has hard packed ground with alot of acceleration bumps whoops and hard sharp faced jumps where speeds are slower with more air time and corners are slippery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted July 10, 2001 - 04:11 AM

1. The manual is right. You answered your own question.

2. Yes. But if you are not bottoming, it may not be necessary. Experiment and learn the feel of different settings.

3. Yes. The convention is to count CCW from bottomed out CW.

As your speed and jumping increase, you will probably need stiffer springs and valving, due to your weight.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.