98 WR 400

7 replies to this topic
  • JOSHUAZ2

Posted April 17, 2001 - 11:30 AM

FIRST OFF VERY GOOD SITE!AFTER DREAMING ABOUT THE BIG BLUE BIKE (AND LUSTING OVER MY BUDDYS) I FINALLY HAVE PERMISSION TO BUY. THE BIKE I'M LOOKING AT IS A 98 WR 400. THE SUSPENSION WAS DONE BY PRO ACTION FOR EASTERN WOODS AND MY WEIGHT. IT HAS A DUAL SPORT KIT, DEVOLE RADIATOR AND FRAME GUARDS, BBR KICK STARTER, RALLY GUARDS AND A YZ SEAT AND TANK ALSO COME WITH IT. ITS MY BUDDYS BIKE AND HE HAS RIDDEN IT VERY LITTLE(MAYBE 10 TIMES)I'VE GOT HIM DOWN TO $4000 AND HE WON'T GO LOWER. THE QUESTION IS, IS IT WORTH IT OR SHOULD I GET A NEWER MODEL? THE LOCAL SHOP HAS A 2000 THAT SHOWS VERY LITTLE WEAR FOR THE SAME PRICE. BUT I DONT KNOW IT'S HISTORY.

------------------

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 17, 2001 - 11:40 AM

I would jump on that in a heart beat!! I'm not sure what your east coast prices are like but in SoCal that's not a bad price for that bike with all of those modifications. I would especially do it since you know the history of the bike and if something does go wrong you can bag on your friend for it. :)
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• berudd

Posted April 19, 2001 - 06:10 AM

I have heard that the WR400 got better after 98. For the same money I would probably choose the newer bike. but I guess if it has been ridden hard then it is a moot point. If you like the 98 jump all over it. 4K sound like a deal.

Good Luck
Bruce

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 19, 2001 - 02:41 PM

My buddy picked up a 99 WR400 with 500 miles on it for $4,200 in New Hampshire if that helps any.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted April 19, 2001 - 02:45 PM

Not long ago, there was one in Maryland for $3900, a 2000 with 150 miles.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• freestyle111

Posted April 19, 2001 - 08:13 PM

me and a couple of my buddys all have wr400's.my bike is 98 and they have 99 and a 2000.my bike has twice as many hours as both of theres and after riding all 3 of them there is very little difference.as a matter a fact.my bike seems to be fastest of the 3.as for which bike i would buy if i was you.thats easy.one the best modification for wr is having suspension revavled and sprung for riders weight,riding style and kind of riding you will be doing.you will get that with 98.knowing where bike has been is also huge plus.a good portion of the used bikes that a dealer has for sale[especially if its last years model]was either traded in for the following years model by someone that raced bike previous year or its being traded in because person had problems with bike.very rarely will person trade in there bike after only a year if it ran great and they didnt have problems with it.if dealer is selling bike for $4000 they paid $3000 at most who would sell there perfectly good 2000 wr400 for $3000.remember a $110 acerbis plastic kit and can of blue paint will make any wr look brand new.buy the 98 [trust me,you'll be better off]if you are worried about 98 being to old put 2000 graphics on it.and if anyone ask you what year it is just tell them 2000. if they could tell difference they wouldnt be asking]

• JOSHUAZ2

Posted April 24, 2001 - 03:11 PM

well i got it. it had 110 miles on it. the yz tank is an IMS and yz seat is stock yam(rock).the dual sport kit is MSR(no longer made?) the throttle stop has not been trimmed and the cork is still in. what should i do first? i already cleaned it and serviced it. thanks in advance.

98 WR400
96 XR400
no checkings
no savings

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 24, 2001 - 03:40 PM

Throttle stop, quiet core insert in the stock exhaust (~$80) or quiet aftermarket exhaust - do not run the stock silencer w/o an insert, it's obnoxious, remove the airbox lid, PROPER JETTING. Correct tires for you're terrain.

That should do it for a while.

Brian

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.