Help getting more power from an '09 450

15 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted October 16, 2011 - 08:56 PM

So I know I need to replace the exhaust and the Dr D full system seems to be a solid choice. Any other recommendations for a mid D-pack vet racer. My priority would be durabilty. My cornering always leaves something to be desired so I am thinking low to mid range power is what I want to help clear some of the larger jumps that I struggle with now but being an old out of shape guy I don't want to feel like I am hanging on for my dear life...

I see from searching past posts that the CDI from an '06 is a nice add on. How much difference would this make if I made this swap before changing the exhaust (a used CDI is a lot cheaper...). Even with the exhaust, how much will I notice changing the CDI?

• tpars121

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:42 AM

In addition to what you already mentioned I would go up one tooth on the rear sprocket also.

• e30M3

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:18 AM

In addition to what you already mentioned I would go up one tooth on the rear sprocket also.

Even with the re-pipe? I remember when I bought the bike new in the start of 2010 that everyone was saying re-gear to deal with the slowness of the stock pipe but I thought the stock gearing was suppose to be pretty good once the exhaust flow got opened up?

• rickallen124

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:38 AM

One more tooth on the rear is good even with the pipe. I ran that gearing,13/49, on my '08 with a full yoshimura exhaust. It will help get that low end grunt you are looking for and make it easier to use 3rd gear most of the time.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:11 AM

One more tooth on the rear is good even with the pipe. I ran that gearing,13/49, on my '08 ....

13/49 is stock gearing. Lowering the overall gear ratio doesn't add any power any more than downshifting does. It can, however be the right choice if you find yourself more often than not going a little too slow for the gear you're in, but the next lower gear is just too low. It can also just as easily be the other way around, where raising the gear ratio a notch makes the bike match up to rider and track better. Lowering the gear ratio also makes the trans ratios closer together and requires shifting more often. Raising it has the opposite effect.

Between the CDI and the exhaust, the CDI is probably the more effective of the two, but the pipe is really a necessity. A DRD or similar system will often add as much as 7 horsepower at 5000 RPM, which may sound like high end to American car drivers, but 5K is the meat of the low mid range on a YZ450, and it makes a BIG difference. If you're on a budget, consider a stock '06 or '07 system as an alternative, or something else used.

• tpars121

Posted October 17, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Even with the re-pipe? I remember when I bought the bike new in the start of 2010 that everyone was saying re-gear to deal with the slowness of the stock pipe but I thought the stock gearing was suppose to be pretty good once the exhaust flow got opened up?

I didnt mean to imply that changing the gearing would add any more power but I went with an FMF 4.1 and it made a significant change to the mid range but only a little down low. I'm a Vet B rider and by going up one tooth on the rear (13/50) it gave me a little more grunt to be able to stay in third gear through most turns and not have to upshift directly after.

• jratcliffe3

Posted October 18, 2011 - 01:24 PM

13.5:1 piston and a pipe is what I'd do. Got one in mine, a powerbomb header and the stock shorty pipe, and it is one of the quickest bikes on the line. Plenty of bottom end too.

Gear ratio (bigger rear) will always make your gears closer together, so might let you get away with a gear higher if you were just having to change down before.

• vet45

Posted October 18, 2011 - 04:29 PM

my suggestion for a mid d pack vet rider is spend the money on knee braces and a good helmet, good boots, nexk protection etc. first.....if you can learn to twist the throttle all the way ,sooner and longer it will more than make up for an exhaust.
if you can ride with the throttle twisted wfo most of the time, your not gonna be in the mid d pack.
spend your money on safety or looking good!
if youve got xtra money to spend, sponsor a young talent that is in need of financial help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • e30M3

Posted October 18, 2011 - 06:25 PM

my suggestion for a mid d pack vet rider is spend the money on knee braces and a good helmet, good boots, nexk protection etc. first.....if you can learn to twist the throttle all the way ,sooner and longer it will more than make up for an exhaust.
if you can ride with the throttle twisted wfo most of the time, your not gonna be in the mid d pack.
spend your money on safety or looking good!
if youve got xtra money to spend, sponsor a young talent that is in need of financial help.

Lets see, $500 helmet, check; top of the line sidi boots, check; Leatt brace, check; good looking Fox gear, check. Knee braces, I have heard mixed things so, so far I am only running nice knee pads.

Sponsering a younger rider, does paying for all of my son's riding count?

I know the bike makes more power than I can actually use but I also know by spending some money the bike will help cover up some of my inability. I would say this is true for many of us! :ride: After all, if any of the pros could beat me riding a 10 year old 2-stroke, why aren't we all riding 10 year old 2-strokes? We all know the answer of course. It is because we know we are faster on a newer bike even (or atleast a newer bike is easier to ride fast). And that is why we want the newest thing even though we might not be able to ride last year's model to its potential.:thumbsup:

• hoffman910

Posted October 19, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I'm a 210lb mid-front pack open B rider 27 years old. I put an fmf 4.1 on, took out that extra ring on the tip and re jetted. This year I added a Boyesen air wing and I have been very happy with it. When I got my 09 yz450f I was coming off a 2008 crf450 with full fmf with mega bomb so the power was a problem!!! I've noticed that I have to adjust the fuel screw with humidity and temperature changes, but other than that I'd say it's working excellent!!! I've had quite a few holeshots and top 3 starts and finishes against young light and wild teenagers!!! Lol I also got my suspension done after running stock on the first 2 bikes I owned and I can honestly say that with my wieght that it was as much of an improvement as punting that idiotic stock garbage silencer that yamaha put on.... I tried one tooth lower gearing but switched back to stock after only 2 rides. I liked 3rd gear better but 2nd was too short and I was between 4th and 5th too much. If you'd still like to try the lower gearing I have a 50 tooth black renthal I'd gladly sell you cheap!!! Lol

Edited by hoffman910, October 19, 2011 - 09:16 AM.
Added info

• Rocker01

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:13 PM

You're a D vet racer and you need more power than a YZ450 produces? What exactly are you trying to accomplish other that more wheel spin? I would think when you wound that thing out you'd barely be able to hang on.

• wags450

Posted October 20, 2011 - 01:57 PM

Does the 06 CDI mellow out the top just add the punch to the bottom?

Not sure how it affects things but sounds like if thats the case its what your looking for.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2011 - 04:29 PM

There's nothing mellow about the top end on an '06. With '08-'09 cams, there will be even less.

• e30M3

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:33 PM

You're a D vet racer and you need more power than a YZ450 produces? What exactly are you trying to accomplish other that more wheel spin? I would think when you wound that thing out you'd barely be able to hang on.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to get faster without putting in seat time. I enjoy riding and that is why I do it and I strive to improve every time I go out. With that siad I thought in my last post I touched base on what you are suggesting so now I am going to try put this into terms you can better understand:thumbsup:

Does everyone that buys a JR 9505 really need 9 channels and 50 model memory? Does someone buy a 30% Carden Extra 300 only because they are a world class pilot. How about that person that spends $120+ on running shoes when they can't even run 5 miles. Or how about that person that buys a $50k+ Malibu/Nautique/Mastercraft even though they can barely jump wake to wake. And of course there are always those people that spend $2,000+ on Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, PRS, etc. when we all know they can barely play the $150 import guitar.

The answer for me in all of those areas is two reasons. I don't ever want to be able to blame my equipement for anything but really it comes down to enjoyment. Having a quality (fill in the blank) is always more enjoyable because you know that you have the best equipement and that you are not being held back by anything except your own ability. Also, for me, I never want to fiddle with something-I just want it to work the way it is suppose to. I don't want brown outs on my RC radio system and I certainly don't want a cheap fret board or bad pickups on my guitar. Considering the '09 YZ is considered underpowered compared to any other new 450, I don't think I am asking much to be on the same playing field as riders on another brand.I also think the little extra power will help me clear some of the bigger cheaps so I don't have to rail each berm just perfectly everytime.

Can I ride a 10 year old 2-stroke to its potential. I don't think so. Why do I ride the 450 and not a 250 four stroke. Same reason I don't ride a 2 stroke. I want the equipment that will make me the most successfull at my hobby whether that is exhaust on a bike that I will never ride to its potential, a Carden that I will never fly to its potential, a SAN that I will never have need to fully sack out (even though I have that option), or my PRS that I can spend a lifetime playing and still only be lucky to play "okay"...

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:40 PM

One thing Rocker needs to bear in mind if he hasn't ridden an '09 is that they don't lack any top end power at all, but they do disappoint those who expect the mid range power to be on a par with the top. They're pretty weak at 5000 RPM, and when most people talk about getting more power from them, it turns out that's what they mean by it.

• NewMexican

Posted October 20, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Cylinder Works +3mm Big Bore kit. I can even get holeshots on 2012 KXF 450's now!!! Seriously!! This is the most fun twist & go bike I've ever had! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.