10 oz. or 12 oz. fllywheel??

13 replies to this topic
  • yzf_virgin

Posted July 09, 2001 - 07:43 AM

Who was it who said the a 10 oz. is good, but a 12 oz. is better? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each? I ride in the mountains of NC. Tight trails and hills are the norm. Also, is Steahly the best? Recommendations please. Thanx!

• Jason_in_KC

Posted July 09, 2001 - 10:14 AM

I run a 12oz from Ty Davis, I like it. Didn't affect the quick rev ability this bike is famous for, only made it smoother and more tractable!! I still clear the same double in 3rd gear w/very little run, have actually over jumped it due to the extra traction I picked up. I'd 12oz, no negatives from me.

• Roostn67

Posted July 09, 2001 - 10:57 AM

I run a Steahly 14oz weight. I love it. I like the Steahly because there is no drilling required. They sell a stock YZ flywheel with the weight already applied. Most of the others want you to pull your stock flywheel and drill it out, tap it, and mount on the weight. The Stealy allows you to switch back and forth very easily. Installation took 20 minutes. I actually have a webpage that shows the installation on my 2000. I took it down but could post it back up if you like.

I went with the 14oz because we ride so much tight and rocky terrain. I wanted maximum ANTI-STALL! I used to stall my bike every time I turned it on. Either that or I was smoking the clutch and draining out all my antifreeze.

Roostn in Denver

• john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted July 09, 2001 - 03:15 PM

I ride in the mountains of PA, lots of tight trails and hills. I have a 12 oz. Steahly flywheel weight and a 51 tooth rear sprocket on my 01' YZ 426. This thing is a great trail bike now, tons of snap and torque off the bottom.
My friend with no weight and stock gearing stalls his bike a lot more, and seems to be having less fun in the tight stuff.
John

• bluezx9r

Posted July 09, 2001 - 03:30 PM

Originally posted by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u:
I ride in the mountains of PA, lots of tight trails and hills. I have a 12 oz. Steahly flywheel weight and a 51 tooth rear sprocket on my 01' YZ 426. This thing is a great trail bike now, tons of snap and torque off the bottom.
My friend with no weight and stock gearing stalls his bike a lot more, and seems to be having less fun in the tight stuff.
John

Hi John

I just ordered a 51th sprocket, but I was wondering if you were running the stock 14 in the front?

If only we could get a YZ with a WR transmission....

Serge

• dhvann

Posted July 09, 2001 - 06:08 PM

12oz steahly and 14/51 gears....Awsome! Now if I can just get healed up so I can ride again! :)

• jamie_mckown

Posted July 09, 2001 - 06:22 PM

I have a 10 oz. myself and have been told not to go bigger than a 12 because the crankshaft is too small. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastkevin

Posted July 09, 2001 - 07:01 PM

Anybody know if Steahly has a website? Can't seem to find one.

• 1up5dn

Posted July 10, 2001 - 01:35 AM

I, too, am interested in purchasing a flywheel weight. I was kind of leaning towards a 10oz because I wanted the best of both worlds. I was worried that 12oz or bigger would be too much of a change and I don't stall all that much.

Roostn67, what did you mean by draining all your antifreeze out? I understand the clutch part but not the other.

How much do the weights cost from Ty Davis and Steahly? Are they comparable?

Lotsa questions.....sorry.

Chris

Posted July 10, 2001 - 10:50 AM

Hey bluezx9r,

Yes I have 14/51, with the Steahly 12 oz. and I love it. Since I'm also a 4 stroke virgin, ( had 250 mx bikes for years ), I still tend to stall a bit, but this is totally my fault. I'm still trying to ride the bike like a 2 stroke. For the conditions I ride in, the set up I have seems to work great. Tons of low end snap and still hauls like crazy on top.

I'm not sure if Steahly has a web site or not, I'll be real surprised if they don't, but here is their number: 1-800-800-2363.
I bought mine from a person who switched bikes, but I think a new one is in the $200 range.

John

[This message has been edited by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u (edited 07-10-2001).]

• overthebars_again

Posted July 10, 2001 - 01:33 PM

I just put on a Ty Davis 8 oz($150). What a difference it makes in the twisties and hills. My rear tire seams to be wearing a little better also, less wheelspin...

otb_a

• scottzx7rr

Posted July 10, 2001 - 11:55 PM

Here is what I would recommend. By the biggest that you can(12oz) and willing to try. If you don't like it then take it to a machine shop and have them remove some weight off of it(about 5 dollars at most) and then try it. That way you are not out the money for two weights. Or buy the Ty kit that has 3 or 4 weight 6, 8, 10 and 12, that way you can make at track adjustments.

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Roostn67

Posted July 11, 2001 - 09:06 PM

I was overheating my bike by not going fast enough and abusing the clucth. It would overheat and puke out the overflow. I didn't actuall drain it out.

Steahly does not have a website.

Posted July 11, 2001 - 10:03 AM

##

[This message has been edited by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u (edited 07-11-2001).]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.