2012 Yz450F report...first ride:

21 replies to this topic
  • HRC

Posted October 16, 2011 - 12:17 AM

I'm on my way to try out some 2012 bikes today, including Yz450F. Yz250F, Yz250, CRF450, CRF250.

Will post some ride reports and hopefully some pics in this thread later on...:thumbsup:

• motojase316

Posted October 16, 2011 - 04:26 AM

Look forward to it HRC.

• HRC

Posted October 16, 2011 - 06:21 AM

Well...where do I start. Interesting day for sure ! A beautiful day with supernice track here in Sweden. A track that is these days used for national mx racing but in the 80's and 90's a regular GP track. It's a medium track with both hardpack and sand sections so it's a great track for testing bikes.

First off is the -12 Yz450: Could definitely feel that there is new mapping, felt stronger than the stock -11 map ! Suspension felt pretty much as the -11, no night and day difference. One thing that surprised me was the frontbrake ! On my -11 it felt so weak but on this -12 it was very powerful, strange because I can't remember reading about any changes going on. Overall a good overall package just as the -10/-11 but a more aggressive powerband.

I had hopped to try out the -12 YZ250F but that was the bike everybody wanted to try...the line was long so had to cancel. But from standing beside the track looking at it in action it sounded really powerful. Almost like a 450. And those who rode it seemed to be impressed.

-12 YZ 250 2-stroke: well it has been 10 years since I had my last 2-stroke. And the years could be felt that's for sure ! :-) it was very fun riding it but the lack of engine braking and constant clutchwork was just to hard dealing with after all these years...probably need some days to get it sorted out. But as I said, it was a fun bike to ride.

-12 CRF450: If I compare this to my -10 CRF450 I had last year this bike felt much improved actually. More stable, better powerband (super easy to use). The cornering is awesome , very precise. Seems the new linkage really has made some wonders to this chassi. The thing that impressed me most was the stock suspension, very plush. I hit some hard edged bumps and did some overjumping but nothing seemed to have an bad effect on the handling.

So the question of the day: YZ450F vs CRF450 ! well both bikes are really nice to ride. But still feel the Yamaha is more stable on fast straights. But the gap isn't so big as it used to be. In cornering the Honda is the winner no question about it...much more precise and easier to rail ruts. The Honda has a very light feel to it compared to blue bike and it is mostly felt when jumping. But at the same time the Yamaha feels stable and doesn't do anything ankward when flying. But for those who like to impresse with a pancake ones in awhile the Honda is truly the recommended choice. When comes to motor the yz450 has the most powerful feel and that is something I prefer, specially for sand riding. I truly can't choose a winner, both are great bikes with different highs and lows. But honestly I had most fun on the red bike today. Maybe it was the track or maybe just fun riding something different than the bike I have spent alot of hours on the last 10 months.

2012 Crf250: Im not a 250f rider at all. I have become a lazy 450 rider but had a blast riding this thing. So light and easy to ride ! But I just felt slow on it so don't want to say to much about this bike. But the handling and suspension felt alot like the crf450 and didn't really do anything bad.

Had a super nice day at the track and riding brand new bikes is always something special ! Put the green one in this and I definitely got some thinking to do deciding which colour to ride 2012 ! :thumbsup:

• no air charlie

Posted October 16, 2011 - 10:25 AM

HRC,

Does the YZ 450 still have the off idle "lurchiness" that the 10/11 bikes have?

• HRC

Posted October 16, 2011 - 10:48 AM

HRC,

Does the YZ 450 still have the off idle "lurchiness" that the 10/11 bikes have?

Yes, it´s still there but not as much as on the -10/-11 though.

• mx369

Posted October 16, 2011 - 05:03 PM

Just got my 12 yz450 this week. Rode it Sat in practice and raced on Sunday. I just got off a 09 yz 450. This bike is the BEST I have ever riden. I beat guys I have never beaten. The track was a tight outdoor but fast track. I turned on a dime around 180 degree around a tree turns. Have a different tune it in. Son installed Marmont tune. i dont know why everybody rags the YZ and yes I have rode a RM and KX last weekend. They sucked for me. Im 6'2" and about 200 lbs.

• HRC

Posted October 17, 2011 - 01:35 AM

One thing that really bugs me about the Yamaha is the low handlebars ! Can´t understand why they put so low bars on a stock bike ! :thumbsup:

I think that also was one of the reasons I enjoyed the Honda over the Yamaha yeterday.

• motojase316

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:52 AM

Nice Report HRC...

• no air charlie

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:36 AM

HRC,

Have you ridden the 12 KX 450? Personally, I am not brand loyal and am thinking about trying one. Like you stated in your review, its fun to change bikes just for something different. On the other hand I had my best season ever on my leftover 10 YZ and don't want to go backwards. I really like the way this bike handles.

If you have ridden the KX I would appreciate your thoughts. Its cool that you have the opportunity to demo the bikes. They use to do that around here back in the 90s, but not anymore.

• HRC

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:04 AM

HRC,

Have you ridden the 12 KX 450? Personally, I am not brand loyal and am thinking about trying one. Like you stated in your review, its fun to change bikes just for something different. On the other hand I had my best season ever on my leftover 10 YZ and don't want to go backwards. I really like the way this bike handles.

If you have ridden the KX I would appreciate your thoughts. Its cool that you have the opportunity to demo the bikes. They use to do that around here back in the 90s, but not anymore.

Yes I have ridden the 2012 KX450F. I only rode it for 5 laps or something like that so don´t take my words to serious. My impression was that the bike felt big and wide over the seat compared to the CRF450 and YZ450 (and I don´t say that is bad thing) Also felt slightly heavier than my YZ450 and much heavier than the crf450. It has a totaly different riding position compared to bough red and blue bikes. Very strong motor that pulls harder and longer than most other 450´s, that was my impression at least. The thing I felt was a little weird was cornering, felt like the bike would like to "stand" up in corners, a little hard to lay down. But as I said, I only got a few laps on it, probably needs some time to adjust to the different riding position.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx369

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:16 AM

I have the windam rm mid rise bar

• Monk

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:19 AM

Nice reports. I appreciate the fact that you have also run a few a current models to compare with. Some comparisons are against a 2007 vs 2012 which in my eyes isn't comparable. Also, your opinions aren't biased on to which was a better bike for you but what felt better. Good write up and I appreciate the feed back. I was looking at those two bikes as an option for cross-country but settled on a 2012 KTM 250xc as my choice.

• adamdf

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:12 PM

Nice reviews HRC, thanks!

If i were to buy a 4 stroke 450 it would probably be the Honda for 2012...

I'm also constantly looking at the new KTM 250SX...must be a blast

• FZ1426

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'm going to comment on the '11 since the '12 isn't changed that much. I almost bought a '10 last year but I wasn't really sold on the whole package plus the negative comments that magazines etc made were nagging at me. However, I rode one and I really liked the way it handled and the low end grunt.

I'm really a Honda guy at heart and I was waiting for Honda to fix the CRF. So, the '12 CRF is pretty much fixed but the bike just doesn't excite me visually. The best thing anyone can say about it is that it's (relatively) light.

So I picked up a white '11 YZ. The bike is just stunning visually, the best looking 450 in my opinion.

Dispelling the myth of the "Negatives":

1. It's heavy. I'm a stickler for weight reduction. Much of the weight on the '11 is due to the multitude of bolts it takes to attach the plastics and airbox. I replaced all of them with aluminum bolts. Much weight reduced. My '09 was VERY light, primarily due to the Ti shock spring. The weight centralization and gyroscopic enhancement of the '11 is such that not only does it handle better but you can't feel the weight at all in motion. Non issue.

2. It's too wide. The width is just a perception thing. It just "looks" wide because of the air intakes. Actually it's only 1/4" wider than my CRF at the widest point (the air intakes) and it doesn't matter because your knees don't go there anyway. Plus the frame is actually 1/2" narrower between your ankles. Non issue.

3. No top end. If I was going to race desert with the bike I'd get a pipe and tune in some more top end with the tuner. For moto, hanging on to a 450 at full throttle just kills your arms and wears you out. I find the powerband suites my style anyway, no need to rev it, just grab another gear. If you want more top it's there, just tune the EFI. I'm gonna leave it alone. Non issue.

I will say I put on a 50t rear sprocket, an MX51 front, a shock spring bearing and set the preload before I even rode it.

Bottom line. The bike is done. It needs nothing else. For motocross, this bike is so much better right out of the box it's not even funny. One ride and I have NO regrets. I LOVE this bike.:thumbsup:

• Monk

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:50 PM

I'm going to comment on the '11 since the '12 isn't changed that much. I almost bought a '10 last year but I wasn't really sold on the whole package plus the negative comments that magazines etc made were nagging at me. However, I rode one and I really liked the way it handled and the low end grunt.

I'm really a Honda guy at heart and I was waiting for Honda to fix the CRF. So, the '12 CRF is pretty much fixed but the bike just doesn't excite me visually. The best thing anyone can say about it is that it's (relatively) light.

So I picked up a white '11 YZ. The bike is just stunning visually, the best looking 450 in my opinion.

1. It's heavy. I'm a stickler for weight reduction. Much of the weight on the '11 is due to the multitude of bolts it takes to attach the plastics and airbox. I replaced all of them with aluminum bolts. Much weight reduced. My '09 was VERY light, primarily due to the Ti shock spring. The weight centralization and gyroscopic enhancement of the '11 is such that not only does it handle better but you can't feel the weight at all in motion. Non issue.

2. It's too wide. The width is just a perception thing. It just "looks" wide because of the air intakes. Actually it's only 1/4" wider than my CRF at the widest point (the air intakes) and it doesn't matter because your knees don't go there anyway. Plus the frame is actually 1/2" narrower between your ankles. Non issue.

3. No top end. If I was going to race desert with the bike I'd get a pipe and tune in some more top end with the tuner. For moto, hanging on to a 450 at full throttle just kills your arms and wears you out. I find the powerband suites my style anyway, no need to rev it, just grab another gear. If you want more top it's there, just tune the EFI. I'm gonna leave it alone. Non issue.

I will say I put on a 50t rear sprocket, an MX51 front, a shock spring bearing and set the preload before I even rode it.

Bottom line. The bike is done. It needs nothing else. For motocross, this bike is so much better right out of the box it's not even funny. One ride and I have NO regrets. I LOVE this bike.:thumbsup:

Everything else looks good expect the MX51 part!

• jcm3

Posted October 17, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Great post. I love mine, also. :ride:

• motojase316

Posted October 18, 2011 - 12:53 AM

Everything else looks good expect the MX51 part!

I have been a Dunlop 756 user for years. I ran my first Dunlop MX51 Front on the weekend... I am sold, love the thing great front tyre.
Running the MX51 rear too, going to MX 71 next tyre.

• no air charlie

Posted October 18, 2011 - 05:34 AM

Yes I have ridden the 2012 KX450F. I only rode it for 5 laps or something like that so don´t take my words to serious. My impression was that the bike felt big and wide over the seat compared to the CRF450 and YZ450 (and I don´t say that is bad thing) Also felt slightly heavier than my YZ450 and much heavier than the crf450. It has a totaly different riding position compared to bough red and blue bikes. Very strong motor that pulls harder and longer than most other 450´s, that was my impression at least. The thing I felt was a little weird was cornering, felt like the bike would like to "stand" up in corners, a little hard to lay down. But as I said, I only got a few laps on it, probably needs some time to adjust to the different riding position.

Thanks for the info. I raced a KX 450 in 07 and it felt the same way in the turns. Sounds like the 12 KX is improved but not completely "fixed".

• YamaLink

Posted October 18, 2011 - 06:03 AM

Yeah, the CRF450 makes everything feel wide and big. If you think the KX felt big in 12 you should've straddled the beast in prior years. Yowza!

I'm under 6' tall and think the oem Yamaha bars are too low, also.

• rcmxracing

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:27 AM

FZ1426 - What's your aluminum bolt source? How much weight did you save? Good write up BTW.

OK, my 2Cents...gonna be long...and OBTW I'm VERY picky
I have a '10 YZ450 and ride MX. I felt like it was cheating coming off my '08 YZ450 - it was that good. The things I didn't like and fixed:
1) Front dove too much under braking and the rear kicked. Total Control Suspension in NC did springs and revalve - stiffer front, softer rear and also link to lower rear. I'm 5' 10" 180lbs
2) Mapping: Bought the tuner, it's a joy to work with. I typically switch between 3 maps.
3) Yosh exhaust, seemed to help spread the power out, really pulls up high regardless of engine mapping but still maintains excellent low to mid. Very electric feel.
4) Went one tooth up in rear to fill gap between 2nd and 3rd and pull 3rd better in corners. OBTW gear ratios same going all the way back to '06 YZ.
5) I felt the bars were too low. Went with Windham bend, love them!
6) Went with Bridgestone 403/404 combo.
7) Went with oversize front rotor kit - Braking.

Other opinions: The bike carves inside ruts like no other. It does not like to slide the rear and IMHO that's why some people complain about the bike. What I have come to learn: It doesn't pay off to slide the bike into corners to initiate the turn, at least for me it doesn't. It has a very precise feel, you have to turn the bars. The difference is almost like when I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, steer with the front. The bike does lay over very well, no top heavy feel, but it does NOT have a loose feel when you lay it over due to gyro effect of engine location, it will stay at the lean angle you put it at. That is a sensation that some can't get used to. It has a very light front end feel, but grips exceptionally well...you just can't feel it grip...almost 2 stroke-ish.
Clutch feel is increadibly light, one thing that is F'd up on the CRF. The bike is very stable on straights, jumping, etc. I think the CRF is a little sketchy by comparison. I have ridden newer KX's with EFI (not the '12). Great engine on the KX, feels like a 10 ton sled in corners. RM...I dunno, I've ridden them, but not enough to form an opinion.
One last thing: I've had two guys ride my bike coming off of '08/'09 YZ450's back to back compare and they both said it feels like riding a 250F lightness wise. Another guy, a KX guy hates it. Funny thing he has an old school 80's riding style, likes to brake slide into corners. IMHO if you want a modern bike the YZ and CRF are the only choice. The others are stuck in 2005, and that's fine, that's what some riders want, no problem with that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.