waterproofing my bike

12 replies to this topic
  • majestic rider

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:17 AM

i have a 2hr hs,weather looks very wet.track has lots of deep puddles etc.what do you recommend for 08yz450?

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2011 - 07:35 AM

For dealing with deep water, locate the two hoses on the carb that attach to fittings that point up (one on each side) and rout them up into the air box.

Also reroute the crankcase breather:

http://www.thumperta...651#post4054651

Remove the seat and tape a piece of hose to the fender between the seat and air box in a V pointing rearward, so that it acts to help keep water from running down the fender into the box.

• majestic rider

Posted October 15, 2011 - 08:40 AM

how about the airbox breather hole in the side panel?cover it or leave it open.

• majestic rider

Posted October 15, 2011 - 10:59 AM

i ran the hoses to the airbox,what exact one way breather/filter will fit the head breather tube?the 2 carb hoses,ill just ziptie to the subframe cut to a length just shy of the sidepanel airhole.sound right?

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2011 - 12:20 PM

I don't know of any satisfactory one-way filters. What I would do is to get a T fitting for the breather and cut it into the existing hose just if front of the cam box. From there, run another 12mm (1/2") hose back to the air box with a small automotive filter on it. If you submerge the lower end of the original hose, air will be drawn through the upper run of hose without drawing water into the engine.

• thestuz

Posted October 15, 2011 - 02:35 PM

just get in there. mud totally screws all aspects of your bike. so if your gonna do it, then just do it and try not to worry..
just make sure you pressure clean it all out of your bike when your done and oil your chain afterward.your wheel bearings and suspension linkages might need a regrease at if you get them submerged throughout the ride.
personally, id leave my carb hoses cos ive never heard of them sucking up water. id be more concerned about water getting into your airbox.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:18 PM

personally, id leave my carb hoses cos ive never heard of them sucking up water.

The carb hoses won't suck up water. But what will happen if the ends of them stay submerged for more than 15 seconds or so is that the bike will stall. When stalled, you face a high risk of pulling water into the engine (unless the breather is modified). The simple trick of raising the two bowl vents I mentioned to a higher point prevents that.

• thestuz

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:51 PM

i think if your that high in water for 15 seconds, your already in the s@#t.
when a bike moves at speed, water has no time to enter the hoses at least.
i had never heard of a bike stalling because the drain hoses were dangling in water. might have to test the theory next time my 600 crosses a creek :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2011 - 08:44 PM

when a bike moves at speed, water has no time to enter the hoses at least.
i had never heard of a bike stalling because the drain hoses were dangling in water. might have to test the theory next time my 600 crosses a creek :thumbsup:

The kind of racing he's talking about involves a bit more than zipping across a creek here and there, for one thing.

Once again, it isn't a matter of water being drawn up into the hoses, it's the fact that the bowl can't vent properly with the hoses blocked by water. You can test this yourself by pinching of the entire set while the bike's running and see what comes of it.

Incoming fuel replaces most of the fuel that runs up the jets, but the smallest vacuum that forms in the float bowl will interrupt the flow and kill the engine.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted October 16, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Remove the seat and tape a piece of hose to the fender between the seat and air box in a V pointing reward (rearward, perhaps? :thumbsup: ), so that it acts to help keep water from running down the fender into the box.

I'm having a tough time understanding this.... Anyone have any pictures of this?

Also, riding in the mud up here gives me the same concerns as the OP. What about electricals as well? Dielectric grease at all connectors?

Jimmie

• Yamiryder

Posted October 16, 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm having a tough time understanding this.... Anyone have any pictures of this?

what he means is a shape like this "^" pointing towards the back of the rear fender. the "arrow" so to speak, will be pointing away from the air box. that way, water will not run into the air box and will be dispersed around it.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted October 16, 2011 - 06:43 PM

what he means is a shape like this "^" pointing towards the back of the rear fender. the "arrow" so to speak, will be pointing away from the air box. that way, water will not run into the air box and will be dispersed around it.

Okay, thanks, Yamiryder!! :thumbsup: I went out to the barn, took my seat off my bike, & tried visualizing how water would run down the fender there...
I think I can kinda see what's meant here... I think..... :ride:

Would this piece of hose taped in there go from, say, the lip where the airbox overlaps the fender (kinda near the air inlets on the sides of the airbox), and then up past the crossbar from the subframe to form the point of the "^" shape? If so, where does the water drain to on the sides? :worthy:

Sorry to be a dense, pain-in-the-ass on this deal. It just sounds like a really good idea, and again, I know for a fact I've got some mud races coming up out here myself...... :worthy:

Jimmie

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2011 - 06:44 PM

Yes, upward and rearward. You have to pay attention to what your spell checker wants to do sometimes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.