UFO Handguard installation '06 WR450F

3 replies to this topic
  • bearsum

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:16 PM

The UFO expansion bolt for the bar end looks like an old bicycle handlebar neck bolt, split on an angle to expand when tightened. There is also a shoulder that looks like it rests against the bar end. When I trimmed the end of my handgrip and throttle tube I see the plastic throttle tube extends past the handlebar by 1 1/2 inches. No way the expansion bolt is going to work. Am I supposed to push the throttle tube flush with the bar end? Did the previous owner move it? Do I need to cut the LH bar end to match? Buy a new bar? I'm stumped.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:15 PM

The UFO expansion bolt for the bar end looks like an old bicycle handlebar neck bolt, split on an angle to expand when tightened. There is also a shoulder that looks like it rests against the bar end. When I trimmed the end of my handgrip and throttle tube I see the plastic throttle tube extends past the handlebar by 1 1/2 inches. No way the expansion bolt is going to work. Am I supposed to push the throttle tube flush with the bar end? Did the previous owner move it? Do I need to cut the LH bar end to match? Buy a new bar? I'm stumped.

Just move the throttle tube so it's a couple of mm inside of the end of the bar.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wanawakeboard

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:30 PM

x2... what krannie said
who ever installed the throttle tube didnt push it on far enough..
when dealers assemble these bikes they just throw them together..

• bearsum

Posted October 14, 2011 - 07:09 PM

It appears the previous owner wanted a wider effective bar. He shifted the throttle tube outboard and then moved the bar in the triple clamps off center to split the difference. I found the etched centering marks on the bar were not centered. I shifted the throttle tube and re-centered the bar. I did have to cut off the ball end of the clutch handle to clear the arc of the UFO hand guard, but figured it was no big deal as my hand can't slide off the handle end 'cause it's stopped by the guard. Thanks for the tips.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.