Loss of coolent

3 replies to this topic
  • wrfjr rich

Posted October 14, 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hi all
Just purchased a 07 wr450f from a dealer with full service history 5800 mles which i had delivered went out for a 30 min ride and when i got back noticed coolent spirting out from underneath took off bash plate to see where it was coming from and noticed that there is a small hole underneath the waterpump I let the bike cool down then started it up and found that the coolent only started to leak out when the engine had warmed up rang the dealer who said there was a seal that needed replacing which he had got to order
Advice and comments please.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 14, 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hi all
Just purchased a 07 wr450f from a dealer with full service history 5800 mles which i had delivered went out for a 30 min ride and when i got back noticed coolent spirting out from underneath took off bash plate to see where it was coming from and noticed that there is a small hole underneath the waterpump I let the bike cool down then started it up and found that the coolent only started to leak out when the engine had warmed up rang the dealer who said there was a seal that needed replacing which he had got to order
Advice and comments please.

Pump seal goes bad if you don't ride the bike.
Bike overheats if it has never been re-jetted from stock.

Both easy fixes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsa102

Posted October 17, 2011 - 08:37 AM

There are two seals in there, an oil and a water seal. Replace both. There is a bearing on the inside of the cover that supports the pump shaft, replace it as well. Check the shaft closely for wear marks, and consider replacing it. Only about $40 for parts for everything. Do a search, there is a detailed thread with pictures on the replacement procedure. Oh, and a clutch side cover gasket, too.

Mine did the same thing right after I bought it. I did not replace the shaft, but others recommend doing so.

Edited by gsa102, October 17, 2011 - 08:41 AM.
more info

• wrfjr rich

Posted October 22, 2011 - 11:58 AM

Have just recievd new seals dealer is going to fit them will let you know how i get on

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.