2008 yzf 450 oil

11 replies to this topic
  • acelay3434

Posted October 14, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2008 yzf 450 and just wanted to make sure I am adding the correct amount of oil into my bike. With an oil filter change it is 1200cc correct? How much oil should I use if I change the oil without doing a filter replacement? I printed out some directions online but just wanted to be sure. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you

• tpars121

Posted October 14, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I believe you put in a little too much.

If you change the filter - 1 liter

If you DONT change the filter - 1 quart

Oil change procedure from the sticky's:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=852961

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2011 - 01:12 PM

1.2L is the total amount required if you are filling the engine after a complete rebuild. During maintenance oil changes, there is roughly 200cc of oil that will never drain, which explains the difference. Read the procedure linked above, and grab a manual online. :thumbsup:

• acelay3434

Posted October 14, 2011 - 01:53 PM

I believe you put in a little too much.

If you change the filter - 1 liter

If you DONT change the filter - 1 quart

Oil change procedure from the sticky's:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=852961

Yea I think I did put too much in but when I drained it after the first oil change there was approx 1200cc/ 1.2L. I orginally put in 1L but after seeing the 1.2L from the previous owner I added the extra 200cc. The instructions say 1L with oil filter and .95L without. I'm sure it won't hurt the engine to add 1L of oil with every change? It will be much easier for me to just add 1L with every oil change...

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2011 - 02:07 PM

If you drain the oil properly from both points and change the filter, it takes 1L. If you leave the filter in, it takes a quart, so you either dump the quart in it and forget it, or fill your quart oil bottle to the 1 liter mark from another quart and dump that in. It can't get any simpler.

* If the oil brand you use doesn't come in bottles with a level indicator on the side, and/or doesn't have a 1 liter mark, add 54cc or 1.8 ounces (50cc and 2 ounces is close enough) and pour that in.

Overfilling the engine by 200cc can actually cause problems, so don't do it. The excess oil ends up staying in the sump where it coils around the crank and over oils the cylinder walls, causing power loss and oil combustion in the top end, which leads to carbon build ups on the piston and valves.

• acelay3434

Posted October 14, 2011 - 03:15 PM

If you drain the oil properly from both points and change the filter, it takes 1L. If you leave the filter in, it takes a quart, so you either dump the quart in it and forget it, or fill your quart oil bottle to the 1 liter mark from another quart and dump that in. It can't get any simpler.

* If the oil brand you use doesn't come in bottles with a level indicator on the side, and/or doesn't have a 1 liter mark, add 54cc or 1.8 ounces (50cc and 2 ounces is close enough) and pour that in.

Overfilling the engine by 200cc can actually cause problems, so don't do it. The excess oil ends up staying in the sump where it coils around the crank and over oils the cylinder walls, causing power loss and oil combustion in the top end, which leads to carbon build ups on the piston and valves.

Sounds good! There are 1000cc in a liter. I don't understand what you meam by add 54cc? Thank you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:08 PM

Sounds good! There are 1000cc in a liter. I don't understand what you meam by add 54cc? Thank you

There are 946cc in a quart, so the difference is 54cc the way I work it.

• dalonar

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:55 PM

do this....open a bottle of oil 1qt or 1liter, and dump it in.......ride away fast

• acelay3434

Posted October 15, 2011 - 11:17 AM

There are 946cc in a quart, so the difference is 54cc the way I work it.

Got it:thumbsup:

• AquaNut

Posted October 15, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I have the same bike. After I let it warm, I drain the oil from both drain plugs and clean my Scott's stainless filter. I add 1-quart and using a ratio rite, another 9 oz. of oil. Bike always measures perfect on the dip stick. I use Amsoil 10w-40 and love it!

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:32 PM

I add 1-quart and using a ratio rite, another 9 oz. of oil. Bike always measures perfect on the dip stick.

Too much oil. 41 ounces is 1.2 Liters, and that's a 200cc overfill. The bike will read perfect on the dipstick with 1 liter, 1.2 liters, or 2 liters, because there is no room in the oil tank for anything more than gets pumped back after a 1 liter fill. The excess is forced out of the tank through the external line that connects to the right side crankcase cover, and the sump level is kept above normal, as I posted above.

• AquaNut

Posted October 16, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Looks like I'm pulling my bike out and draining about 7oz a.s.a.p! Hopefully I haven't done any damage putting 1.2L each time I've changed the oil. Thanks for the info.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.