XR650L turn signals only flash one side

9 replies to this topic
  • OkieRider202

Posted October 14, 2011 - 10:47 AM

When I first bought my bike the left turn signal would not blink, but stay on and not flash through the relay. I checked the bulbs(good), wd-40'd and blew out/cleaned the handlebar swtich and got both sides blinking consistently. I have ridden about 800 miles and now the right side won't blink, just stay on steady. Anybody else replaced the switch because of a similiar problem? Bulbs all match and relay seems to work on one side just not the other.:thumbsup:

• reduceus

Posted October 15, 2011 - 04:23 AM

the switch just directs power through the flasher unit to the lights - if the lights operate either side (even if they stay on all the time) - then the switch is OK. The flasher is a single wire in single wire out and if it works on one side then it should work on the other. I would suggest that it is a bulb that is causing the issue or poor contacts within the bulb holder

• zx12r

Posted October 15, 2011 - 08:51 AM

the switch just directs power through the flasher unit to the lights - if the lights operate either side (even if they stay on all the time) - then the switch is OK. The flasher is a single wire in single wire out and if it works on one side then it should work on the other. I would suggest that it is a bulb that is causing the issue or poor contacts within the bulb holder

what he said, the bulbs have to be the correct bulb, same wattage, for the flasher to work properly. check bulbs, connections on the non flashing side. if thats not the problem, the flasher could be getting weak, take it out and go to a auto parts store to see if they can match it.

• thumpharder

Posted October 15, 2011 - 10:37 AM

The flasher probably works, but you could have a poor connection in the wiring some where, if the flasher can't get a good strong signal it won't heat up enough to flash, check all connections from the bulb all the way to power and ground.
That said I had the same thing happen, it didn't make sense but I replaced flasher,stil nothing, turned out to be ground in the blinker, the wire to the socket itself

• Kazaroo

Posted October 15, 2011 - 04:35 PM

To check the bulbs switch right/left side, see if problem follows. If it does, it's a bulb, if not, check wiring - grounds, etc.

• donnbauer

Posted October 20, 2011 - 01:16 PM

I had the same problem and when I pulled the flasher out but left it plugged in I could tap the flasher and make the steady side flash, bad flasher. Checked the Stealership and they wanted $47 for the OEM piece:foul:. I went to NAPA and got an electronic flasher for $9.67 that works great. The other up side to electronic flashers is they will flash LED's and incandescent bulbs with equal aplomb.

• OkieRider202

Posted October 24, 2011 - 11:07 AM

Well guys it was the flasher. Put in a Carquest 32451 electronic flasher relay and it flashes both sides the same. Thanks for everyone's help!

• OkieRider202

Posted October 25, 2011 - 04:18 AM

Update: Installed new LED blinkers and the 32451(Grote 44690) doesn't work anymore. Need to order a Grote 44891.

• OkieRider202

Posted October 27, 2011 - 03:45 AM

Installed Grote 44891, grounded to horn mount stud, with the side switch light as the right indicator and the factory turn signal light as the left turn indicator. This was actually pretty easy and works great. The XRL's blinker circuit uses the alternating or back side feed to ground. With no current flow through the led's...you don't have any thing to light the indicator or complete the flash circuit. Just run one side of each light harness to the horn stud ground, then wire the other side to either the orange or blue original turn signal indicator wires. Now I have four corner led signals with proper speed flashing and no delay or double flash when you first turn it on.:thumbsup:

• voodoolord

Posted October 28, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Yay! Ya fixed it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  77 replies
Forums
Photo

2008 Honda xr650L Re-Jetting after Exhaust Modifications by ManFug

• 19 replies
Forums
Photo

Is this rod shot? 87 xr600r refresh by goneballistic

• Hot  136 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda XR650L 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Questions for XR650R rebuild by TJEP

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.