WR wiring question

4 replies to this topic
  • jasonlion54

Posted October 13, 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I've been riding YZ450F's for a while now but I just bought my first WR450F. It's a 2007.

Foff, I apologoze if this has been covered in another thread, but I searched and didn't find anything.

The guy I bought it from bought it from another guy who did some electrical work, so here are the facts as I know them:

1. Previous Owner did all this electrical work in order to run a helmet light or some type of auxiliary light (?)
2. PO replaced the stator with an aftermarket one (don't know the brand).
3. There is a small electrical box mounted near the head tube. It says Baja Designs on the side, has 2 yellow, a black, and a red wire going into it, and has cooling fins. It's maybe 2" x 2" x 1".
4. The headlight doesn't work
5. The E-Start doesn't work
6. The taillight does work.

So I'll start digging into it tomorrow, but do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to get the headlight and E-Start working. I'll go over the wiring diagram soon, but if anyone knows the problem off the top of their head, it would be great. Thanks.

• zibbit u2

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:27 AM

Hey everyone,

I've been riding YZ450F's for a while now but I just bought my first WR450F. It's a 2007.

Foff, I apologoze if this has been covered in another thread, but I searched and didn't find anything.

The guy I bought it from bought it from another guy who did some electrical work, so here are the facts as I know them:

1. Previous Owner did all this electrical work in order to run a helmet light or some type of auxiliary light (?)
2. PO replaced the stator with an aftermarket one (don't know the brand).
3. There is a small electrical box mounted near the head tube. It says Baja Designs on the side, has 2 yellow, a black, and a red wire going into it, and has cooling fins. It's maybe 2" x 2" x 1".
4. The headlight doesn't work
5. The E-Start doesn't work
6. The taillight does work.

So I'll start digging into it tomorrow, but do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to get the headlight and E-Start working. I'll go over the wiring diagram soon, but if anyone knows the problem off the top of their head, it would be great. Thanks.

Sounds like the previous owner installed a Baja Designs kit... and modified (floated) the ground on the factory stator.

E start should be diagnosed like any regualar bike w/o modifications. Also you may want to check the fuse under the seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jasonlion54

Posted October 14, 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've been digging into it today, and you are right, it does have a floating ground, so I'm going to run switched power right off of the battery for the headlight.

My only confusion left is the starter. The WR starter only has one wire, the hot wire. It gets its ground through the frame, but since my frame is no longer grounded, how do you ground the starter?

When I ground the battery to frame, the electric start fires right up. But if I leave the battery grounded to the frame, it won't charge. Am I understanding that right?

• jasonlion54

Posted October 15, 2011 - 10:16 AM

So for anyone with a floating ground, how is your starter motor grounded?

• 05-WR450F

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Frame is still grounded. Starter always ran off the DC circuit. Modifying the stator eliminated the AC side by combining with the DC side. The rectifier/regulator was upgraded to handle the extra load.

On my 05, the factory wiring for the CDI, main switch, starter and kill switches were untouched after I modified the stator following BD instructions.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.