lower end case difficulty?

3 replies to this topic
  • TORE BACK

Posted October 13, 2011 - 03:29 PM

how hard is it to split the lower case i have the manuel and im mechanically inclined but i have none of the special tools. i have my head and cylinder off for head work and want to do a complete gasket kit instead of just the top end as it leaks some oil under the back right near the rear break area.
2005 yz450f

• DC_Excitement

Posted October 15, 2011 - 02:03 PM

ive done a few without the tools. i just used a rubber mallet and tapped the cases apart. to get it together i used some hand pump clamps from home depot and used the case bolts to evenly squeese it together. you can do it no problem.

just use a couple of small 2x4s to be able to lay the motor on its side nice and flat so its not tiedering on the crank shaft.

go ahead to give it a try, the satisfaction of doing it yourself is great

theres a series of videos on you tube that will step you through it, that helped me. search splitting cases yz250f:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ricks426

Posted October 15, 2011 - 07:07 PM

check out you tube...just rebuilt my whole engine for the first time and would not have tackled it if it weren't for the videos... It's Johnnysshop channel on you tube, he does an 03 yz250f but it still is comparable for the processes. good luck, and it's a good feeling when everything runs fine afterwards and you know how good the work is.

• Yamaryder29

Posted October 16, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Johnny is an amazing guy for those videos. He inspired me to do my 1st complete tear down. Since then I've done 4 yz250f, a 426 , and a 450 motor. Gotta another 250f to do soon. Replace the oil seals and any bearings that need it while your at it... Good luck!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.