Engine stalling YZ426F 01

5 replies to this topic
  • bluezx9r

Posted July 09, 2001 - 03:54 AM

Hi Guys

I`m having an annoying problems with my YZ. It tend to stall very reguraly.

It usually appends went riding tight wood trails, I shutoff the throtle (while stopping for a thechnical section) and it stalls. I tried raising the idle a bit but it doesn`t seem to work.

It seems to happen more frequently now, I`m getting very annoyed and tired or kick starting the thing.

Any ideas

• Roostn67

Posted July 09, 2001 - 04:57 AM

Get a Flywheel wieght or you will stall, and stall, and stall it. I know, I went through the same deal. I put on a 14oz. Steahly flywheel weight and it changed my bike completely! Its awesome. I have not stalled my bike in months. It was the best $200 I ever spent. It was an instant change with no noticable affect on power. The bike still snaps and RRRIIIPPPSS!! Do it before you get further frustrated. It is literally a 20m minute change and extremely simple.

Roostn in Golden

• bluezx9r

Posted July 09, 2001 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the info on the flywheel, my fear was that the bike would not be as snappy as it is right now.

I also suspect that the valve are out of spec, it`s not stalling while trying to get going but when clutch is fully release.(level to the handlebar) and yesterday when I try to start it I took 3-4 kick before getting compression... oups... hope it`s only a valve adjustment

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Jason

Posted July 09, 2001 - 08:40 AM

You may have some carb jetting problems, a smaller coutner sprocket should help too. Check you compression release lever and make sure it has play in it so it dose not leave the release open at all.

• Howard_Huge

Posted July 10, 2001 - 05:05 PM

Also check clutch adjustment if you"re clutch is dragging and you lock up the rear brake this = stall!! I too am having similar problem with my 00 yz and i have the flywheel weight. It seem that the bike likes to stall on downhill switchback type turns where i brakeslide the rear end around. The moment i get on the gas the bike coughs and dies. This gets frustrating especially in the middle of a race. I too have increased my idle speed (doesn't help). I am starting to doubt myself and wonder if it is do to rider fatigue and being lazy with the clutch lever? What octane gas are you running? BTW the flywheel weight helps to smooth out the power delivery not slow it down. The snap is still there and it finds traction like a badger making a new home.

Flameout blues, Huge

• Boit

Posted July 11, 2001 - 08:24 PM

To add to the above advice. If it seems as though the bike is tending to stall more now than before, then something is gradually changing. It's possible that the bike is not at fault and you are becomming adjusted to the bike and it stalls more because of an assumption on your part. Barring that, and not meaning to blame you, it might be that the engine is slowly changing it's state of tune. As you have suggested, it's highly possible that the valve lash is out of spec. Most likely a valve or two are tight. Another possibility is that the carb is overdue for a thorough cleaning...especially the pilot jet circuit since the pilot jet controls the idle to 1/4 throttle. Pump gas tends to leave a brown syruppy residue that restricts the pilot jet and causing a lean mixture. If the restriction is great enough, the engine becomes quite finnicky. The symptoms are, generally hard starting...won't idle....exhaust popping when the throttle is closed from high revs(if you can get it to run)...only runs at higher revs. Sound familiar?

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.