'04+ Clutch Basket on '03 ?????

5 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted October 10, 2011 - 01:55 PM

I need a new clutch basket for my '03 WR450. It looks like there is a difference between the 2003 YZ and WR450 clutch baskets and the 2004 and later baskets. The clutch plates are the same, as is the clutch hub and the pressure plate. The only difference is the 2003's use a clutch boss spring and a seat plate and the inner most friction and steel are slightly different. I assume the only real difference between the two is slight difference in the depth of the basket.

I'm thinking of going with a GYTR or Hinson basket and the '04 and later seem to be more readily available and at a cheaper price. Can anyone see any reason why the '04+ clutch basket shouldn't be used as long as the frictions and steels match the '04 spec? TIA :thumbsup:

• hafte

Posted October 03, 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hi All,

I'm on the same way.
Can someone advise does the clutch basket from 2004 are compatible with 2003 model WR450.

Thanks.

• bg10459

Posted October 03, 2012 - 04:27 AM

The 04 clutch basket is a direct swap for the 03 basket. The main difference is that the 03 basket has the kick gear and primary gear as one piece, so if you're going to use a Hinson, GYTR or other aftermarket basket, you'll need the 04+ kick gear and the 04 primary gear. You'll have to use the 04 clutch pack which is almost identical to the 03 pack, but has a few less parts. In 05 they changed the primary gear on the basket, so if you wanted to use that you would also need the 05 crank gear. That's an easy way to change the final drive ratio if you wanted to.

Edited by bg10459, October 03, 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2012 - 06:30 AM

The 04 clutch basket is a direct swap for the 03 basket. The main difference is that the 03 basket has the kick gear and primary gear as one piece, so if you're going to use a Hinson, GYTR or other aftermarket basket, you'll need the 04+ kick gear and the 04-05 primary gear (I believe the 05 basket is also the same). You'll have to use the 04 clutch pack which is almost identical to the 03 pack, but has a few less parts. In 06 they changed the primary gear on the basket, so if you wanted to use that you would also need the 06 crank gear. That's an easy way to change the final drive ratio if you wanted to.

The primary drive ratio was changed in '05, not '06. The '03 and '04 primary drive gears (crank) are identical. '05 was different due to the gearing change, and although the ratio and pitch of the primary drive stayed the same from that point on, the '06 crank gear doesn't fit the '05 or earlier cranks. Complicated. Otherwise, the post is correct as far as I know.

The '04 clutch should basically drop in if it's a complete unit, subject to the kick starter meshing correctly, and possible issues with the release push rod length. When using aftermarket stuff, be sure to match the year of the clutch rather than the bike, as the replacement bare baskets are different '03 to '04 for the reasons already given.

• bg10459

Posted October 03, 2012 - 11:09 AM

The primary drive ratio was changed in '05, not '06. The '03 and '04 primary drive gears (crank) are identical. '05 was different due to the gearing change, and although the ratio and pitch of the primary drive stayed the same from that point on, the '06 crank gear doesn't fit the '05 or earlier cranks. Complicated. Otherwise, the post is correct as far as I know.

The '04 clutch should basically drop in if it's a complete unit, subject to the kick starter meshing correctly, and possible issues with the release push rod length. When using aftermarket stuff, be sure to match the year of the clutch rather than the bike, as the replacement bare baskets are different '03 to '04 for the reasons already given.

Thanks for the correction :thumbsup: I wasn't entirely certain about the year of gear ratio change. Also, good info about the 05 crank gear. I guess if you want to change the ratio you must use the 05 crank gear. I am certain about the 04 basket working in the 03, though, because that's what I have in my 03, but I have been running a rekluse Z-start. The lever arm is shown as a different p/n between 03 and 04, so it may be an issue with the standard clutch :excuseme: I'm also certain the kickstart gears are the same, at least to 06, because I have an 06 kickstart gear and it's identical to the 04 gear and, where it matters, to the 03 gear, as well.

• hafte

Posted October 04, 2012 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for detailed info.

This winter i will make complete engine rebuild, and already ordered crankshft and flywheel from 2004.
The starter mod is already done by me.

I will buy and complete clutch basket and inner hub from 2004 for may 2003 WR450. 2004 parts are less expensive and are easier to find.

Thanks again :-)

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.